OCR03587 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, LoZ 1/2/ST/WW/TP/SS "Timeless Journey"

Liontamer

I actually was one of the people to back both Chrono Cinematica and Zelda Cinematica. Surprised that Sam posted this publicly as (from what I recall) it was a backer/supporter only track. Though i personally don't mind, Sam Dillard does amazing work and I glad that others who might not have been able to back his projects can listen to his work.

Glad you liked it and thanks for supporting the Cinematica albums; in fact I posted this piece on Kickstarter publicly several months ago so it was indeed heard there first, however I gave permission for this track to be used for this album so they could fill in the slot for the main theme since I was just too busy to make something exclusive for it and had already completed this overworld medley piece. So things worked out in the end, and for those who do like the music and aren't familiar with my own Zelda Cinematica album, perhaps they'll be interested in that as well when it is released in the next month or two.

Holy chickens, talk about living up to a large legacy. The epic opening is almost a requirement to nail, but 2:18+ really impressed me with the way that it flowed back and forth from theme to theme, always adding up to a larger, thoughtful arrangement. Serious skill on display here. Bonus props for the personal touches on 3:23-3:40. You've done Link and Zelda proud!

I actually listened to this on its own merits, rather than for its being Zelda. Sam Dillard is one of those guys who we know has already nailed his orchestral production. To me, it came as no big surprise that he did exceptionally well with this composition, irrespective of the source tunes.

He has a careful hand with soft dynamics (the shifts at 2:03 - 2:06 and 2:41 - 2:44, for example) and with writing practical parts for each instrument (3:43 - 4:14 was a particularly seamless interplay between the french horn and violins/violas). What he has brought to the originals was also innovative; I particularly liked the modulation at 2:57 - 3:11, and how the chord progression and new melodic contour at 3:52 - 4:15 cleverly enhanced the "Overworld" melody in a clearly recognizable manner.

• 2 months later...

Incredible, I think it could be the best Zelda orchestration that I've ever heard! "SamWOW!" ;)

Seriously, I'm going to throw in a request that I think that you are up to. If you ever played and loved Yoshi's Island, feel free to give the end sequence music your interpretation. That would be so dang amazing. Part of me thinks you could even weave the final battle into it in a way that rivals Scheherazade's Festival of Bagdad.

So impressive. Don't stop.