Yet Another Potential Remix Project...

Lotd2242

So, I was thinking today (yes, always a dangerous thing I know), and I came up with two different, yet related, potential Remix Projects. And, before I started investing the effort into bribing and arm twisting remixers and admins into coming on board, I wanted to check on a few things, the first obviously being whether or not someone had already tried/managed to do what I'm about to suggest.

Here's the idea. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be interesting to do the best of video game romance/sad songs. Normally, I would say it would be best to split them up into two different projects, except that there's some considerable overlap there. The idea would be to give most of them vocals and lyrics expressive to the game and situation surrounding their origin, but some could work with instrumentals as well, obviously.

So, the first question is simply: has it already been done?

My second question is more of a solicitation, I'd like to see what tracks you think would be most appropriate for something of this nature. It should be a wide range of romantic themes and "sad" songs, or simply music that can conceptually be framed that way, like Lover Reef was. I imagine "Game Over" themes would play a large part in the sad songs bit. I've actually been kicking around lyrics for Marle's theme from Chrono Trigger for a while, for example.

And lastly, would anyone actually be interested in working on such a project?

ed]Hey, a "Best of" album? Where'd ya get that one? 8)

I don't know but it's a damn good idea..

Of all the Official OCR Site Projects going on right now there are um...14 I believe.

tales, SD3, FF7, xenogears, Ctc(boss battle), Pokemon, LA, dragonWarrior, RadicalDreamers, Kirby, dodgeball, TetrisAttack, megaMan4, Doom

Edit: Doom2, my bad couldn't remember which doom game it was from

Many of them are struggling to fill out their remix rosters. There are also other remix projects goin on elsewhere some involving OCR, some not.

Also there are 2 big projects in the initial planning stages that will surface within the coming months(Phantasy Star 4, DK Country 2)

Oh yeah who the hell said running a project is easy!?

My 2 cents if you are serious about running this is too wait. I'm not talkin about weeks, but maybe like half a year at the least. Also read all the other project threads and be familar with how those projects are run. What makes some of them work, and what makes others fail.

If you can gather up enough people to do the project now more power to you ya. But right now demand is high and supply is low.

Good luck dude, and I do think this is a good idea. It's just bad timing right now in my opinion.

Avaris really is right, you're probably gonna need to wait, if anything, before you really attempt something like this.

And to be honest, I'm thinking you're gonna have difficulty, as many people are going to have differing opinions on what should be included to the point that you will have too many things that people want to remix, but not enough room, or people won't be able to make a consensus.

Really, what you're bringing up is taking Pray or Love Will Grow (the official FF vocal cds, whatever you want to call those) and applying it to all games, and adding a more sentimental twist to them. So..in a way it's been done before.

LASTLY....check out my website in my sig. LoL.

That's pretty interesting, "To Good Friends" is one for which I've been kicking lyrics around for quite a bit. Difference is I've leaned towards the orchestral arrangement that was done for a concert somewhere along the line, instead of using the "music box" version. It's also definitely one I'd want to put in this sort of Romance/Sad Song bit (so hold off on doing it if you can ;-)). My concern for that track is only that I would like to have Pixietricks to sing part of-the version in my head is sort of call/answer- it if she would be available and willing to lend her talent.

I imagine it would be a lot of work, but that doesn't bother me. I'm sort of a producer at heart, so I'm going at supplying a vision and then letting talented people go to town. I don't think there'd be as much of an issue with differing opinons regarding style because the tone of the project would dictate most of how the music comes out, simply because it'd be difficult to do say, a romance in something like techno or heavy metal. Not impossible, but it probably wouldn't work as well as something like an orchestral arrangement. And I'm not opposed to large track lists so long as people are producing quality and in a reasonable timeframe; I don't have a set number in mind.

I didn't realize there were quite so many projects on the table though. I'll give it a shot again in a few months when some of the current stuff finishes off. Thanks for the input though, and if anyone does want to work on this in a few months when things clear out a bit, please PM me as a heads up. I'll keep an eye on the thread too for music suggestions.

Running a project all comes down to how much time you are willing to commit to it, as well as how much time others want to. I mean, we do Site Projects at OLR, and some of the recent ones (Gauntlet and Crocodile Chaos) have taken more than a year to do, even though they are supposed to be parodies of OCR's site project and get done in like, a month tops.

I've been doing Gauntlet for over a year, but haven't ever really set deadlines or anything. The tracks have just been completed when they got there. Now the only two tracks that are left are mine (whenever i find time to get it done) and another (a collab, so it's taken a bit longer).

So, it's up to you whether or not you want to just go ahead and start and see if anything happen. Also, it's not vital to make it an OCR site project; you can always go ahead and do something like Bound Together or the SMRPG project.