Gario

Contact Information
    •    fxsnowy
    •    Adrian Bureu

•    Soundcloud.com/fxsnowy
Submission Information
    •    Megaman X3 and Megaman X5

•    Thermoception
    •    Doppler Stage 1 (X3) and Dark Necrobat Stage (X5)

My round 2 arrangement from the 2015 Sigma Fortress Remix Gauntlet. My original idea was a loose semi-realistic funky rock vibe with some added retro cheesiness.

Source Breakdown :

0 - 0:15 Doppler

0:37 - 0:47 Doppler

0:48 - 1:10 Necrobat

1:21 - 1:47 Doppler

1:52 - 2:15 Doppler

2:15 - 2:36 Necrobat

2:48 - 3:20 Doppler

This one's definitely something different. The beginning threw me off hard, with the combination of instruments sounding like a disaster as far as timing goes (the different attacks quickly coming together like that is what causes this). I'm glad I stuck with it, though, since the harmonizations and theme combinations are very clever, and it's otherwise pretty well produced, to boot.

There are a few things that throw me off, though. The arpeggios at 0:47 & 2:13 sound off, like the notes themselves are a step or two too high. The lead balance at 1:21 & 2:48 was a bit off for me, as well, since it seems to be drown behind the textures and drums.

The e-piano that supports the whole track is actually really cool, with all the different textures and counterpoints it has with the leading instruments. It's very dry, though, which makes its presence less pronounced than it should be. The reverb level is fine, so raising the levels a bit would help give it the attention it deserves.

I'm a lot closer on this than I initially thought I would be, but that opening part really turns listeners off before it can show what it has to offer. Fix the very beginning, fix the arpeggios and balance the leads better in the mix and I think this would be good to go.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/07/21 - (1N) Mega Man X3 & X5 'Thermoception'

Gario's got a lot of good crits here. I like that the mix of the two sources comes together well, which sometimes can be very hard to do. A casual listener wouldn't be able to separate where the two sources are in the mix. Beyond that the funky style threw me off a bit but once things got established I think it came together pretty well. 

Back to Gario being right, the opening flourish is a pretty big jumble, not sure what's going on there. I assume it's supposed to be a bit chaotic, but it sounds more like a mess than anything else, to be honest. After that you have that weird out of key arpeggio at 0:47 (and 2:13). Just adjust the key there to get it to match better, and you're good there. The lead does definitely get drowned out at times, and that's one of the bigger concerns. 

1:24 feels a little strange on the timing, I think it stems from the slight delay on the attack of the e-piano. That might be more of a personal taste thing, but I'm curious what the next judge thinks.

Overall this has some really creative vibes here, and I think it's close, but needs a little adjustment. Send this back to us!

NO (resubmit)

Ditto on the strange intro (made worse by the fact that the beginning is very slightly cut off) and the strange timing later on.  And that oddly-toned arp as well.

I also felt like it was a little on the static side.  0:37-1:21 and 2:04-2:45 are very same-y, not just to each other, but I felt like each of those sections dragged a bit.  The differences between 1:22-1:44 and 2:49-3:11 are really subtle, too--I hear a sort of siren effect, and that's it.

There are some ideas that work, but the arrangement does indeed need a fair bit of tweaking.  In addition to the leads and arps, please take a look at 2:04-3:11 to see if you can spice things up and keep the listener engaged more.

NO

Normally wouldn't chime in a 4th NO, but I was planning on voting on this anyway, since "Dark Dizzy" is my favorite MMX series music. Will just quickly echo the crit about the instrumentation being too dry, and the introduction sounding jacked. There were a couple short sour notes in there, like Gario mentioned. I liked how you integrated the "Dark Dizzy" theme in there, that was pretty seamless. Lacks a fair amount of polish, but the funky energy was good, and there are some promising ideas here, Adrian. See what more you can do with this one.

NO (resubmit)