*NO* Legend of Zelda 'The Legend of Zelda Theme (NES) Metal Cover'

Gario

Note: If this passes it'll need an original title.

- Gario

Hello my name is Caleb Flint and I do a project called Zelda Metal. Someone online told me about this community and I am really happy to come across it. I had no idea is existed! I hope you guys enjoy my arrangement. More song are coming soon!

Caleb Flint

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is some really solid stuff, here! The production is crisp, and the performances are quite good. Nitpicking the performance a little, the acoustic portion in the beginning has some slightly wavering timing issues, but they're not a big deal.

The arrangement on this one is pretty conservative. The change in style is good, and there is a neat change-up in the middle there, but it does stick really close to the source, if not too close. The copy/pasta repeat of 0:45 - 1:33 at 1:45 - 2:32 drives this home, being a deal-breaking issue in it's own right. The resulting ending just cutting out is also a problem, which branches from that section just being a repeat of an earlier portion.

Y'all got some serious chops, though. Give the 1:45 - 2:32 some more attention and variation, give this a proper ending and this would be a pretty easy pass. As it stands, though, I don't think we can ignore the heavy copy/pasta in this. Best of luck, and thanks for sending it our way!

NO

Yep, the copy-paste repetition is a dealbreaker for sure, it's overly conservative, and of course it needs a real ending.  Those aren't my only concerns, though.  It's mastered quite loudly--normally OK for metal, except that it's causing heavy pumping and distortion, even in the quieter acoustic intro.  I see it peaking at over +0.4dB.  That intro also has a buzzing sound to it, which sounds like a mechanical or recording issue with the guitar.  Perhaps one of our guitarist judges might know what's causing that (although it's a minor issue, ultimately).

Certainly the performance quality is well above the bar, but I'm afraid this doesn't match what we look for in terms of interpretation, and I feel that the mastering needs another pass to get rid of the pumping and get everything below the 0dB mark so it doesn't clip.

NO

Co-signing with the others, this is just too straightforward of a cover; though there were some brief spots of original lead writing and some new backing part-writing that went in the right direction with this genre adaptation, we're looking for something more interpretive, Caleb. We're definitely OK with spirited covers, and I think Fishy's Pokémon R/B/Y mix "Battle for the Badge" is a more thorough example of the kind of approach you were going for, so check that out and see if it gives you any guidance on how you could further personalize your take on the Zelda theme. Gotta agree with the cut-and-paste sections, and the lack of an ending/resolution being an significant issue as well; the performance is solid enough, but the backing writing was relatively basic, and the arrangement isn't fully developed yet.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda 'The Legend of Zelda Theme (NES) Metal Cover'