Gario

• Your ReMixer name: JohnStacy
  • Your real name: John Stacy
  • Your email address: 
  • Your userid: 33075
    • Name of game(s) arranged: Super Mario Bros. 3
    • Name of arrangement:  The Journey Never Ends
    • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Ending
    • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

This was originally started for the Smash the Record EP, but that lined up perfectly for the Insaneintherain Jazz Challenge this year, so I produced it for both (with a youtube video for the challenge).  I've done a lot of performances of this source tune before, but they were all fairly close to the original style (as Latin, or a beguine for instance).  This time I went in a different direction, trying to do it in the style of something Jerry Hey would appear on.  
    I've recently discovered the magic that is Jerry Hey and his horn section.  I used 2 trumpets, 2 french horns, and 2 trombones, which is similar, but replacing the tenor saxes with horns and adding a bass trombone on the bottom.  I experimented with mic placement and saturation attempting to capture a similar sound to theirs in the 80s and 90s.  Although I missed the mark, I did produce something I am very proud of.  
    I've learned that a lot of music is playing to your strengths and making the best of what you have.  I would have liked to have done a vocal track, but because of the time constraint I couldn't find a vocalist fluent in the style, so I just did it as a french horn solo because that was my best bet.  
    So I present my arrangement, The Journey Never Ends.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

I checked this out for John in the #workshop area on Discord, and like I told him there, I love this concept, but the repetitive and relatively simplistic drum machine stuff dragged this down for me because they never really integrated with the brass work, IMO. AFAIK, it's all an intentional & gimmicky aspect of the way this is put together, but I thought it didn't click. That said, I could definitely see this getting support, so we'll see what happens with the rest of the vote. Otherwise, the treatment of the source tune with the brass was awesome, and I'd just like to hear drumwork that better combines with the brass. If I'm "old man-ing" my perspective here, I'll get outvoted. :-)

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/08/19 - (1N) Super Mario Bros. 3 'The Journey Never Ends'

The authenticity to the production here carries a certain charm, and I was impressed initially. The brass sounds here are quite strong, and the piano backing fits in smoothly. I feel things started off well, with some nice transitions and articulations throughout. Some sections here did play for a little too long. The first major departure from the main theme occurs fairly deep into the arrangement (3:20), which was made more noticeable by the drums playing that same pattern throughout the majority of the entire track. This is a shame because I feel otherwise that this mix has a lot going for it - there is a good amount of detail in most of the instrumentation, production is mostly solid, things are mixed well and aren't crowded with highs at relatively pleasing levels. The repetitive nature of the earlier sections and the drums for the entirety of the track detract too much from what is otherwise a solid mix. If some revisions could be made to the arrangement and drums I'd be on board.

NO

Yeah, I appreciate that a lot of work was put into the instruments to make them sound good, but the arrangement is not clicking for me.  It's very static, and goes on for very long sections without any energy changes.  Intentional or not, the drums are very clicky and exposed and the pattern is too static, making the whole track sound unchanging.  The mix work is solid and production on the whole band is ok, but this needs another pass : first on the arrangement. making it less static and second regarding the drums.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Mario Bros. 3 'The Journey Never Ends' *PROJECT*