ReMixer name : Bak.R
Email address : 
Userid : 34757

Submission Information

Name of game arranged : Zelda – Ocarina Of Time
Name of arrangement : Wood Requiem
Name of individual song arranged : Minuet of Forest
Link to the original soundtrack : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaIDovzdVag

Comments : I try to use pizzicato Cello as the main instrument of the song. Change the mood of the orginal song to match better like a trailer soundtrack.
The song rise progressively with more instruments, more variation, more dynamics.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/08/13 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Wood Requiem'

Nice job doing a lot with a little.  I love the groove here, it's a very cool approach.  Does a lot in a short time; I think the short length is perfectly appropriate here.

The one thing I think is really holding this back is the volume leveling.  It's a little hard to parse because of the distracting ping-pong panning of the rain sticks (or whatever that percussive element is), which is a pet peeve of mine, but on top of that there seems to be some pumping, especially in the loud section from 1:16-1:50.  It's especially odd that this is an issue because this is quite quiet overall, with over a dB of headroom.  The swells in that section sound very artificial as well, and I thought I caught some off notes in there (another judge's ears on that would be appreciated).  It also gets muddy, especially with the vocals and the brass conflicting with each other.

Unfortunately, I really do find this hard to listen to because of those production issues.  Clean that up, with a focus specifically on that loud section with the vocals, and I think this will be gold.  I really enjoyed the arrangement and the rest of the production, so I really hope you'll do that and send it back our way.  (And I'd personally love it if you removed the ping-pong panning, but other judges seem to tolerate that better than I do.)

NO (resubmit)

• 3 months later...

The panning is definitely a lot harder to listen to on headphones, and I might suggest bringing the panning effect down so they don't go quite so far overall. Aside from that I think the panning works pretty well and adds a nice effect, it's just too overstated. 

I love the energy of the track overall and the bubbly pizzicato strings really add a neat dimension to the theme. The center section does feel like it gets a little crowded at times, and I do feel like there are too many parts vying for the spotlight, but I didn't feel like it was a deal breaker in the long run. 

I do want to mention that 1:18-1:53 is not really source related in any way I can hear, which given the size of the track is pretty significant. I don't think it's too much that it's NO territory but it's worth a mention.

Overall this is a unique take and expansion on a pretty short theme.live the energy and hope to hear more from you soon.

YES

I agree with the mixing critiques, the intro panning is distracting, the overall volume is low and the middle section gets a bit overcrowded.  My bigger concern is that the source is a super simple series of notes, and the way those six notes are used here is so completely different from the source tune as to be unrecognizable.  This is one of those rare instances where even though the source is used verbatim, I cannot hear (or feel) any connection to the source tune at all.  I only recognize Minuet of Forest at 2:02, right before the track ends.  Cool track, but I don't feel it fits OCR standards.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/08/13 - (1Y/2N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Wood Requiem'

The song starts quite suddenly and doesn’t waste any time. I found what you did throughout the duration to be well done, in terms of progression and sound choices. I didn’t think the sweeping pans of the hats posed too much of a problem for me personally: they are fairly low in volume and created a sense of movement that completements the main percussive rhythm as the mix progresses and builds up, but I can understand that some would find this distracting - to compromise you could look into making the panning half as fast by taking an entire bar to pan as opposed to half, or alternate hat sounds between the earsComparing to the source: I didn’t have as big of an issue here either with usage, I see where you’ve expanded on the original. What is hurting you here however is that you’ve been too transformative in your creation. I feel this submission would’ve been better accepted if you had used the introductory bars to introduce more verbatim source and then transitioned into the more rhythmic version we have here as things progress, while taking the opportunity to circle back every now and then to tie verbatim source into the mix. I think this can make it if you can work in some of these suggestions.

NO

On 12/13/2017 at 7:12 PM, Chimpazilla said:

I agree with the mixing critiques, the intro panning is distracting, the overall volume is low and the middle section gets a bit overcrowded.  My bigger concern is that the source is a super simple series of notes, and the way those six notes are used here is so completely different from the source tune as to be unrecognizable.  This is one of those rare instances where even though the source is used verbatim, I cannot hear (or feel) any connection to the source tune at all.  I only recognize Minuet of Forest at 2:02, right before the track ends.  Cool track, but I don't feel it fits OCR standards.

NO

I am very familiar with this song, as is probably 90% of people who play videogames, and I am having a hard time connecting all of this to the original as well.  Surprising how small changes make a huge difference.  However, I don't actually think that's a bad thing, in fact, I quite liked it!.  However for an OCRemix this feels a bit too disconnected.  Also I think other judges have gone over the panning issue near the intro, which I didn't think sounds very good or fits the arrangement much.  

It's not easy to transform a jingle into a full-blown track like this, and I think you did a good job on that front.  My big issue is with the VERY distracting panning and the crowded section around 1:17, in which the production gets a bit too dirty in my opinion.  If you clean the mix up in the busy sections and bring the overly distracting panning down, I can give this one the thumbs up.  For now though:

NO (resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/08/13 - (1Y/4N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Wood Requiem'