Sonic the Hedgehog 3: Ice Cap Remix concept (VERY ROUGH)

genghisdani

The other day, I was messing around with my guitar, and decided that I wanted to try and make a remix using whatever musical talent I may or may not have. I spoke with LAOS and got part of the chord progression for Ice Cap Zone from Sonic 3, albeit a bit incorrect; I played with the chords over and over until I got something that sounded pretty close to the right chords. Unfortunately, I'm still essentially a beginner at the guitar, so I wasn't really able to do the right bar chords properly. I kept working on it, running ideas through my head, and getting better at playing.

This is still very rough and conceptual, but this is essentially the bare-bones idea I've got so far.

http://genghisdani.googlepages.com/IceCapGuitar.mp3

I understand that my guitar playing is still pretty crappy, so don't bother commenting on that; what I'm looking for here is ideas for where to go from here.

I've been mulling over and playing with the idea of finger-picking the chords, and that sounds pretty nice; the only problem is that I'm just starting to teach myself how to finger-pick now.

Earlier today I was playing, and I played essentially what I have recorded above, but I played faster, and I played each chord double, and it took on a sort of Spanish feel to it; I snapped a pick in the process, but it sounded good.

No, in case you were thinking it, this was totally not inspired by the recently released S3&K project.

Hm, for some reason...it seems like you should strum with some reggae influence. I think that would help out a lot with your playing and help you develope new ideas for where the song should go. Give it a try.

So far, though...you've got a long way to go. And good luck with learning the guitar. ^^

Alright... although I haven't updated the link, I've been messing around with a few ideas.

I've been attempting to teach myself reggae-style strumming (Google FTW); it sounds OK, but I'm not that much into reggae, so it hasn't really given me much in the way of inspiration.

I've been trying new strum patterns, but nothing really seems to stick well; nothing too inspiring, and it all gets kinda muddled together after a while.

One thing that I attempted and I like a bunch: bringing the whole thing down 2 semitones. It makes it easier to play, and changes the feel of the song a bit. The reggae-style strumming sounds better down there too.

I understand the "practice makes perfect" thing completely, but I'm sorta looking for a direction in which to go; I figure that eventually, my guitar playing will improve on its own, as my work on the song constitutes practice.

I don't really count on this being finished anytime soon; I'm going into the army on the 17th and then I'll be going to college hopefully once I'm out (14 1/2 months later). That having been said, I do intend to keep working on this, even if it takes several years.