Master Mi

Neutrally EQ-ed high fidelity studio headphones

6 posts in this topic

Heya, guys.

I'm looking for some professionell studio headphones with a natural hi-fi sound without bass or high frequencies boosts or mid frequencies reductions.
...so, just some headphones which are really neutrally EQ-ed that let me perceive a crystal-clear, natural sound that exactly (as possible) sounds as I compose and mix in my DAW.

What would be your favourite headphones at these conditions?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: My big choice is actually between those 3 headphones:

1) Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
2) Sony MDR 7506 (I guess these will made the run)
3 Sennheiser HD 569

Whatever you end up getting, I recommend looking into Sonarworks Reference 3, which is a VST plugin that corrects frequency imbalances for headphone mixing based on your headphone model. I use it with my AKG K702s and like it a lot -- K702s are skewed toward mids and highs, and it evens things out in a way that makes getting balanced mixes noticeably easier. (FWIW, Sonarworks supports the DT 880 Pro and the Sony MDR 7506 but not the Sennheiser HD 569.)

I would definitely recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 880's, specifically the 32 ohm model. I got the 250 ohm model, which needed a properly calibrated headphone amp to get a full bass and treble response due to the high impedance. Presumably the lower impedance allows the extreme lows and highs to come through more evenly, so you shouldn't need an amp to get a proper frequency distribution.

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID%5B0

Besides the frequency response, they are very durable and long-lasting, and they have an honest stereo field. I've had them since Dec 2013, and they still are super comfortable while allowing me to mix with utmost awareness of stereo space and frequency fullness.

As an example, here is something recent that I made using these headphones (note: you'd have to download it to hear properly clean treble frequencies since soundcloud embeds at 128 kbps), and here is something zircon made also using them.

Thanks for the nice hints and information. ))

In the end I've chosen the Sony MDR-7506 and I'm really satisfied with those headphones.
They've got a really natural sound - no overpowered, but really crisp and highly defined basses (probably one of the biggest issue with most studio headphones), pretty decent, clean and neutral mids and really defined high frequencies (although they might be a bit standing out and sharp at "sss" sounds like hi-hats - I tried to change this with an equalizer plugin but no matter where I reduced or raised frequencies I couldn't get significantly better results which might be a sign that these headphones make a really clean, authentic, neutral and natural sound).

In the beginning it might be a bit unusual to listen to soundtracks with such a reduced, neutral bass - but it's really good for the mixing process (as well as for watching movies etc.).
Your sense of hearing wil get used to the neutral sound within a few days/weeks.

The stereophonic/ surround sound is also pretty awesome (and really precise), too.
Related to this it can really keep up with the big room sound of my new stereo speaker system (Logitech Z533).

A bit annoying during the first days was the slightly noticeable pressure on the head around the ears (my ears got pretty warm at the first day after wearing the headphones over a longer time).
But this vanished after a couple of days and they now fit really well without boiling my ears.
If you have larger ears you should look for another model of headphones maybe (they're really made for smaller and normal ears) - such like Beyerdynamic DT 770/880/990 Pro headphones which are really big compared to my Sony headphones.

So, altogether you can hardly do anything wrong with buying the Sony MDR-7506 as professional studio headphones.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS: Since a friend of mine wants to buy some Beyerdynamic headphones (770 DT Pro or 880 DT Pro) for gaming soon I might have a chance to compare those ones with my Sony MDR-7506.

I still recommend the Beyers, for both quality and comfort. I can use the Beyers for 5+ hours if I wanted to, and not get ear fatigue (sometimes I forget I even have them on).