HoboKa

MnP 81: Crypt of the Necrodancer Stage 2-1 (Fungal Funk)

43 posts in this topic

Compo: MnP (Meat 'n Potatoes)

Round 81: Crypt of the Necrodancer Stage 2-1

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP81_(2-1) Fungal Funk.mid

Youtube:

 
What could possibly be more terrifying than a trip down to the Crypt of the Necrodancer? For round 81 let's do the extra-spooky stage 2-1 theme.

-Dex

Deadline: October 16th Mon @1PM

Vote Ends: October 18th Wed @ 11PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.


MnP Instructions/Guidelines

  1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct


MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Dextastic said:

This might be a better video for the OP. This sounds more like the actual in-game music.

 

Okay I'll exchange it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't say they're on YouTube either, considering how many YT'ers have quit due to being demonetized. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I just got shadowbanned from YouTube for daring to have political views that don't tow the line.  Google needs to be broken apart - they've gone wayyy beyond their moral and legal purview as a business entity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 5:33 PM, Dextastic said:

Page views in these competition threads are down by about a factor of 10 in the last month...

Yeah.

Considering we are on the outset of the holiday season, many people are probably just busy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Starphoenix said:

Considering we are on the outset of the holiday season, many people are probably just busy.

That is probably the logical conclusion T_T  (or maybe the J panel scared off everyone)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It might just be that forum based communities arent as strong now that there are all kinds of other forms of internet communication. Obviously not true for all forums but im sure facebook and reddit and other places havent helped ocr much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dextastic said:

Dunno what the J panel is.

In any case I've got my bonus remix composed. Just need to mix it now.

That was quick.  Haven't even started yet T_T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It usually takes me a while to get things done so I like to start early. For this one I started the day before the thread opened, and this is probably the fastest I've done the composition stage. And honestly that stage probably isn't quite done, as I'll probably make a few more tweaks tomorrow. It's a lot easier to hear what's "off" in your arrangement if you let it sit for a day and let your ears rest a bit, ya know? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dextastic said:

It usually takes me a while to get things done so I like to start early. For this one I started the day before the thread opened, and this is probably the fastest I've done the composition stage. And honestly that stage probably isn't quite done, as I'll probably make a few more tweaks tomorrow. It's a lot easier to hear what's "off" in your arrangement if you let it sit for a day and let your ears rest a bit, ya know? 

Yeah I know full well - it always sounds perfect the first time.  Then you sleep on it and go woaaahhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discord seems pretty active, though it kinda seems hard for newbies to actually become integrated and recognized til you get some recognition (not trying to start a debate here, but that's the feeling i got after joining few months ago, though i didn't really try hard to integrate myself).

Guess it's our work to actually keep the boards alive, and I suppose participating in the competitions as much as possible might be the way to do it.

I will myself try to be around more and participate in every round from now on (i'm passing this one though), even if I'm not really in my comfort zone with the music, though i might have some projects on the side in the future and procrastination usually kicks in way too much for me :( (looking at you PUBG).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shid0 said:

Discord seems pretty active, though it kinda seems hard for newbies to actually become integrated and recognized til you get some recognition (not trying to start a debate here, but that's the feeling i got after joining few months ago, though i didn't really try hard to integrate myself).

Guess it's our work to actually keep the boards alive, and I suppose participating in the competitions as much as possible might be the way to do it.

I will myself try to be around more and participate in every round from now on (i'm passing this one though), even if I'm not really in my comfort zone with the music, though i might have some projects on the side in the future and procrastination usually kicks in way too much for me :( (looking at you PUBG).

Yes, at one point I was the bane of OCR, now I am it's savior!!!   Muahahahaha.  All stupidness aside, we look forward to seeing you return Shid0.  Hopefully I don't mean this in the "Royal We" sense.  That would be creepy.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I've looked at the PRC and MnP things lately and I just haven't jived at all with any of the sources :( Short of doing a straight cover for them, I dunno. I at least try to remember to vote for them because that is the least I can do even if I don't jive with the source. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My excuse is just that i keep screwing myself and breaking my workstation. I tried remixing on an ipad, but im ashamed to say im reaally really bad at remixing without source midi. I feel like piano/theory lessons would be a good idea. 

On 10/10/2017 at 7:02 AM, Shid0 said:

Discord seems pretty active, though it kinda seems hard for newbies to actually become integrated and recognized til you get some recognition (not trying to start a debate here, but that's the feeling i got after joining few months ago, though i didn't really try hard to integrate myself).

Guess it's our work to actually keep the boards alive, and I suppose participating in the competitions as much as possible might be the way to do it.

I will myself try to be around more and participate in every round from now on (i'm passing this one though), even if I'm not really in my comfort zone with the music, though i might have some projects on the side in the future and procrastination usually kicks in way too much for me :( (looking at you PUBG).

 I think its like any other "scene", its hard to integrate with the veterans without just being around and being productive for a long time. its just easier to engage with other newbies and try to create your own circle or remixers you get along with. That said im pretty bad at it. Also go to magfest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Esperado said:

My excuse is just that i keep screwing myself and breaking my workstation. I tried remixing on an ipad, but im ashamed to say im reaally really bad at remixing without source midi. I feel like piano/theory lessons would be a good idea. 

 I think its like any other "scene", its hard to integrate with the veterans without just being around and being productive for a long time. its just easier to engage with other newbies and try to create your own circle or remixers you get along with. That said im pretty bad at it. Also go to magfest 

Theory lessons is always a good idea.  Stop self sabotaging yourself Esperadooooo T_T.  Never did attend magfest.  And yes the newbie circle is where its at :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else got anything in the works??  I will extend this round to only the 17th, because I'd like to get  round 82 rolling and fit the timetable for 2x Howlow'en back-to-back stuff.  Sorry if this comes off as Draconian.  

Also, is your BONUS ready to be sub'd Dex?  If not, make sure to put it in before 1PM 17th TUES.  Thanks!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now