MnP 83: Yoshi's Island - Mini Boss theme

HoboKa

17 hours ago, Shid0 said:

Oh sorry about that, my bad there. Hope you can put something up on time with Hoboka's midi :/

Mine too, I got complacent.  I'll have to be more vigilant, seeing as i'm the one ultimately at the helm here :P (a little drunk and off-kilter, but more or less there)

So as reparations, here! 

Deadline: November 21 Tues @ 1PM

Vote Ends: November 23 Thurs @ 11PM

Bon-chance one and all. 

Actually, I took too long to submit, I'm 3 hours late.  So I may as well sub it as a BONUS and hand the round to SIlverpool!!!  Congradurations Silver :D

PM me your source pick for round 84, Silverpool

Results

• Silverpool wins by default on account that nobody else submitted and I took too long to get my act together.  Congrats dude.

Feedback

Shido - wasn't too big a fan of the original work up until the 1/4 mark when you altered the chord structure and tone a bit to that Daft-Punky feel, then it really picks up into something epic.  I feel that "Stupid Dinosaur" is actually quite MnP, the shift in motif actually complemented the source tune's mood quite well, seeing as it has that bossy, edgy feel.  Maybe my reasoning is a bit of a stretch.  Oh well.  but I absolutely love what you did with it from 0:50 to the end.  The stuff before felt like it wasn't quite related to the rest - but that's just my input - other people may disagree 0_~

Silverpool - It is what it is.  Very MnP, with nothing new other than a sound upgrade.  Not bad, but also not great.  The confines of this competition aren't the best for experimenting too far, but I would encourage that you take the risks anyhow :) ; Besides, everyone kinda has a different take on what it means to be MnP lol.  You won't be punished too hard for doing something original, so long as the mood is more or less intact and the source is recognizable :D

Quick review.

Shido - Starts out silly and fun, although the detuning somewhat overstays its welcome. Then you take it in this awesome new direction. However the detuning reappears along with some dissonant chords, IMO to the track's detriment. 

Silverpool - Appropriate track title :) I'm not familiar enough with the source to tell if you added anything bit it sounds alright. Would have liked to hear the lead synths sound a little deeper and more pleasing to the ear though.

hoboka - Liked the parts you added. Would have liked a little more of that. The tempo shifts were a good idea too but I think you took them a little too far. Nevertheless this stands out to me as the best of the three tracks.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:12 PM, Dextastic said:

That midi file would have been a bear to work with. I took one look at it and said noooope.

Gonna listen to the submissions now.

I remember feeling that way when I opened up the MIDI to the Final Fantasy 8 Boss theme.  I couldn't even get a sense of the time sig for that one, even though it's probably obvious to most people lol.  Oh, also, Vagrant Story has some pretty difficult MIDIs to decipher lmao

• 5 months later...