Zelda BOTW - Hateno Village (Prog Rock Cover)

axlanian

My current draft of my cover of Hateno Village's theme. I had heard the track an 8th note off from what I believe the intended rhythm is, and I kind of preferred it that way, so I made an arrangement based around that. Let me know what you think it needs!

Original:

Getting the original wrong can lead to a lot of fun new takes on things. I'm having some trouble not hearing it correctly and keep thinking you've got the weirdest drum writing, but the overall sound is nice regardless.

It might be my headphones, I'm just listening casually on my gamer headphones, but the kick drum sounds weird during the first half of the track. How does it compare with professionally produced rock tracks? Overall, the track has a really nice, polished sound, but the kick stands out.

Really cool stuff.

Cool arrangement. Drums sound too stiff and mechanical. The drum pattern in the first part of the song feels quite unnatural to me. Mix sounds a bit off to me. (I'm not a great mixer but I can tell when something's not right even though I might not be able to fix it or say exactly what it is.) It feels like the guitar parts don't sound crisp enough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey Alex, sorry for the wait on a formal review here. That said, as a judge, I'm happy to give you my feedback now. This was melodically straightforward, but you did a nice job expanding the part-writing here, which is always a viable direction, especially for something like BotW's minimalist soundtrack. When the rhythm guitars joined in to fill things out more at 1:40, the soundscape became a bit muddy/muffled, but it wasn't a huge deal, just an area where the mixing could have been a little clearer. That said, you filled out the soundscape nicely, and fleshed things out well.

I'm not sure why this was taken down from your SoundCloud, but I'm glad to have checked it out on YouTube. Go ahead and submit this (send a WAV too, if you still have one), and I'll be sure to directly approve it for posting on the front page; this can bypass the judges panel, IMO. Tremendous work! :-)

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have set it to Completed status, indicating that I think your remix is ready to be submitted to the Judges Panel. Congratulations!

If you feel like you still need to work on your track and want more feedback, you can change the prefix back to Work-in-Progress and we'll go through the review process again.

If you decide to submit your track, please change the prefix to Submitted after sending your email. Thank you!