Disney In Talks To Buy Most of Fox

Pipez

4 hours ago, Pipez said:

Wonder if this could lead to the X-Men becoming part of Marvel Vs Capcom again.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html

I'd be more interested in seeing Marvel Vs Die Hard.  

Movie, Game I don't even care at this point.  Just give me Bruce Willis pounding some sense into RDJ and i'm a happy guy. 

17 hours ago, The Damned said:

I'd rather see Disney make a good Fantastic Four movie.

I mean, there are four of them, and not a single one is any good.

And somehow, the harder they try, the worse the movie is.  

Once upon a time, the Fantastic Four was the flagship Marvel property.  Now you'd be lucky to find your average person under 30 who knew who they were.

If this happens it will absolutely lead to a resurgence of X-Men in all non-comics Marvel media. X-Men is one of Marvel's biggest and most recognizable properties and the ONLY reason it's kept out of shows and video games is because of Ike Perlmutter's anger at not having the movie licenses.

The minute this happens, we'll see a huge adjustment to the Marvel movie timeline. There are going to be at least half a dozen X-Men related movies announced so fast your head will spin. Look at what happened when Sony and Disney worked the Spider-Man deal out: they immediately introduced him into the MCU with Civil War and Homecoming.

Same goes for Fantastic Four. Once this deal goes through? Fantastic Four #1 comic will be announced, and they'll get a movie that's integrated into the MCU as soon as possible.

I'm very curious what direction they'll take the X-Men movies if this happens.  The X-Men movie series is quite successful, though not as strong as the MCU.  Would they keep it going?  Would they reboot it (for real this time, not with time travel shenanigans) to integrate it with the MCU?  They rebooted Spider-Man and Hulk, but the most recent movies with those IP's were bad.

They probably wouldn't integrate them.  For one, they have two different versions of Quicksilver (although the X-Men already had two different versions of Bolivar Trask, and technically the X-Men version is Peter while the Avengers one was Pietro--and they could just completely leave him out safely anyway).  And for another, Hugh Jackman is done, and lacking Wolverine is a huge blow to the series, so a reboot that brings him back would be welcome.  Plus, the X-Men continuity is absurdly complicated at this point and a fresh slate wouldn't be a bad idea.

3 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

They'll probably reboot it and start fresh so as to better integrate it with the MCU. I'm sure if this deal goes through the entirety of Phase 4 or 5 will be some kind of Rise of the Mutants thing.

That kind of improvement is highly expected under Disney.

This is a bit tacky on my end, but when I heard the rumor, I had to get some feelings out. I'm posting the link to said blog, but in short, I prefer the X-Men to be separate from the rest of the Marvel universe. Otherwise, personally, I find the whole mutant concept doesn't work so well. X2 and First Class would not have been better with a Thor or a Doctor Strange. I kind of seem like the minority on this, though.

https://ericmikols.com/2017/11/06/the-x-men-work-best-when-outside-the-marvel-universe/

It's a fun idea to have the Marvel universe all come together and all, but I'm thinking more in terms of Disney's monopolistic tendancies when I say I don't think this is a good thing for the rest of us. They have the tendancy to dig their copyright-law claws hard into IPs and franchises that make them lots of money. I'm still rather pissed at em' for changing copyright law to extend their Mickey Mouse rights constantly, which is preposterous.

If the merger happens I think there'll be some cool short-term gains, but I don't think it's healthy in the long term to have one company in control of so much IP, especially when they've got a record of not letting things go once they've got hold of it.

• 1 month later...