*NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'From these Trees -- Blooming Forever'

Gario

Gaius Christianus Canorus

https://gaiuschristianuscanorus.com/

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
From These Trees—Blooming Forevermore
Forest Temple
Koji Kondo, N64
Everything is available already on the game page on the website.

"no more composing with notes but rather with tones"
- Gerard Grisey

Don't think about the notes, think about the sounds.

Tuned to a Pythagorean temperament with thirds tempered by a schisma

C                  1/1
C#/Db       2187/2048
D                  9/8
D#/Eb      19683/16384
E              8192/6561
F                  4/3
F#/Gb       1024/729
G                 3/2
G#/Ab       6561/4096
A            32768/19683
A#/Bb     59049/32768
B              4096/2187
C                  2/1

I find the connection to the source tenuous at best.  Maybe one could draw the connection with an extremely high-level analytic approach, but to a layperson, which most of our listeners are, it's just not there.

I'm also not a fan of the sounds used.  I find the mechanical bell that the remix opens with, and is the only instrument for the first 42 seconds, very irritating.  But what really drives me nuts is the squeaking noise that starts at 1:24--it sounds like a broken cassette player, and it's extremely hard for me to listen to.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I'm just not on board with this at all.  It's an interesting intellectual exercise, and very creative, but I don't think it's right for us.

NO

I do like this, even past my academic curiosity: it's clean, it's clear and it's super interesting. I'll argue the issues that Mind Wanderer bring up in the arrangement are not 'problems', per se; it sounds like something Varese would put on a tape, or something Crumb would make with the different tuning style. I'd rather not fault the artist for something that's not only clearly intentional, but even getting the sound pretty spot on. There aren't any production issues to speak of that I can tell, so if the arrangement had enough source I'd say this was an easy pass.

That being said, the concern that there's not enough source in this is perfectly valid. Here's where I can find the source, given a pretty liberal interpretation of the term:

1:12 - 1:28 - VERY liberal interpretation of a background texture turned into an elongated chord
1:54 - 1:58
2:02 - 2:06
2:28 - 2:31
2:40 - 2:43

~30s / 197s

~15% Source

... Yeah, I think it was a mistake for me to post this up, considering the severe lack of source - it's such a strange source to begin with I thought it might've been a lack of familiarity that I was missing, but it's really just not to be found. The fact that it's 38% silence and single held notes should've clue'd me in on this, however - with that much quiet the track would've needed to be almost 100% source with what was left.

Sorry, this one's a pretty clear NO due solely to source usage, but I do hope you try something in this style again with more clear references to the source since it's a really cool piece.

NO OVERRIDE

• Gario locked this topic