OCR03710 - *YES* Super Paper Mario "Memory: Night"

Gario

What a strange choice of source!  For the record, that YouTube source is actually a medley of 5 songs, but 4 of them are nearly identical and the middle one is an expansion of the others.  Billing this remix as based simply on Bounding Through Time would seem fine to me.

It's a repetitive arrangement on the face of it, but so's the source.  It's progressive though, never giving the feeling that it's retreading the same ground, but always adding and expanding to it in engaging ways.  It's not for listeners expecting excitement around every corner, but that's not the point.

I could do without the old-timey static crackle, but it's handled well.  Production seems crisp and clear almost throughout--it gets a little muddy at 3:41 with the introduction of the reeds, which do conflict with that static, but it's not a big deal IMO.

I like it.  Let's get it up there.

YES

• 3 months later...

I'm really torn here, the mix itself is beautiful and well put together, but I can't quite get into it because of the repetitive nature of the arrangement.  I get that the source is repetitive, but that doesn't mean the remix has to be.  The mix builds and things are added, but the way the writing is, it feels like a four and a half minute build to nowhere, followed by an extended outro.  I feel like if the arrangement were broken up just a bit in the middle that would help, even if something like the outro were to appear halfway through and then something similar at the end like you have already.  As it stands, the arrangement just doesn't keep me engaged even with all the additions made.  I may be in the minority with this opinion.  Good luck with the rest of the vote!

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/10/11 - (1Y/1N) Super Paper Mario 'Memory Nights'

Beautifully produced, wonderfully performed. I can definitely hear the issue others have with the track sounding like a continuous build to nothing. I'm not necessarily going to fault the artist for it - that's one way to write minimalist music, after all - but I will add that because of it the song won't be for everyone. If you're looking for music with direction and an end goal, this isn't going to satisfy.

For me, though, the repetitious writing that continues to slowly build off of itself is soothing. It's something I can listen to without thinking about it, something that I can do work to without stopping to listen to anything in particular. In the right mindset, it's a neat experience.

Not for everyone, and not something to put in on a whim, but when it's the right mood for it the track nails it. It's different, and it adds another flavor to OCR's library. I dig it.

YES

What a pretty soundscape you've set up here. I really don't have much to add here that hasn't already been said. The track is certainly minimalist and repetitive, but the source is that and more so. I enjoyed just kinda spacing out to this chill track. 

Definitely not going to be for everyone but I think it ticks the correct boxes here and I don't think the repetitiveness is enough of an issue to bring it below the bar.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

The production here is very atmospheric and subtle.  There are strings and pads making the rounds in the background but there's a bit more detailing than that if one listens closely, some atmospheric drones and textures complement the mood and set up the stage for the super minimalistic arrangement.  I gotta say, by the 4 minute mark the constant piano hook was really starting to distract me from the enjoyment of the string melodies and textures.  Thankfully it goes into a breakdown shortly after, with a slightly different voicing that leads to the ending.

This is not for everyone, it's repetitive and minimal but it does not lack complexity.  It's a good addition to our repertoire of ambient/moody remixes.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/10/11) *YES - TAG* Super Paper Mario "Memory: Night"
  • Liontamer locked this topic