OCR03707 - *YES* Donkey Kong 64 "Anthropoid Overture"

Liontamer

• Your ReMixer name: Argle
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Donkey Kong 64
  • Name of arrangement: Anthropoid Overture
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: DK Isle theme
Hello!  It's been a minute since I submitted anything, and sadly this is not new, rather something I made many years back and never sent in.  The idea for this song existed in my brain for almost a decade, so it was good to be able to realize it eventually.  I have to say the hardest thing about this track was coming up with a name other than "Simian Symphony", which regrettably was taken and would have been perfect.  Hmph.    Anyway, hopefully my musical burnout doesn't last forever and I can produce some new tracks eventually.

Adam

• 2 months later...

Some interesting changes to the chords, I want sure what to think of them at first but I think they are a neat change from the original and change the mood pretty drastically. The arrangement is pretty straightforward but there's plenty of detail to add flavor along with some fun orchestration overall.

I found the mixing to be pretty clear on headphones, if a little quiet. My biggest nitpick is the realism. The sounds are fine, though definitely not live, and use think a touch more work on the humanization would bring this to life. That being said I think it's certainly above the bar as is. 

Really fun take in the source with some great mood shifts. Hope that writer's block clears out for you, we've all been there.

YES

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chimpazilla changed the title to 2017/09/13 - (2Y) Donkey Kong 64 "Anthropoid Overture"

Hey Argle, it's been another minute since you submitted anything.  Get to it.

I'm not too familiar with the DK64 ost, since it's not a game I liked much back in the days.  I see the original song here tried to be a mix of orchestral and tribal elements, but you decided to go full blown orchestra with it, and you did a great job as well.  This sounds like one of those Super Smash Bros remixed tracks.  Percussion is energetic and well sequenced, performances are believable enough, and although it's not an overly complex arrangement it does set itself apart from the original enough.

The mix is clean and balanced.  I don't have many complains with this one other than it kinda lost energy and became less interesting towards the end.  Other than that, Solid stuff.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2017/09/13 - (3Y) Donkey Kong 64 "Anthropoid Overture"

Feels like a slower paced, film focused version of the original tune. Agree with the others that there is some nice chord usage here across the arrangement, altering the feel and emotion of the original. Brass patch sounds quite basic however, which really dragged down the overall orchestral illusion. The stronger brass sections were also very crowded sonically, with a lot of frequency overlap between the instruments, with cloudiness as a consequence. This would've been a lesser issue for me if the sections weren't revisited several times, more care should've been taken here when mixing. Otherwise I found the sound quality and mixing mostly passable. As the others here don't have any major problems with the mix, I am ok to let this through, but the presentation would be far stronger if the brass were corrected. You've brought a new angle to the original tune with your arrangement, with a soundtrack vibe making it feel suitable for a DK animated short.

YES

Donkey Kong 64, eh? I dig it, and I dig the arrangement here, too - rather than the relaxed atmosphere that the source had, this hits us with some bombast and large orchestra. The orchestration, while standard 'epic' fare is still well done, and the neat chromatic sequences that break the music up from time to time (like at 0:51) are quite fitting.

The production on this is acceptable - no mixing/limiting/compression issues that I can hear in this one. The instrument quality, though, does leave me hanging. The brass and strings sound just a bit low quality, but there's an effort to give them all a human touch, and overall they don't sound terrible. Just... a little N64-ish in their sample quality.

I can't say it's enough to swing my vote, though - everything else sounds quite good. I'd be happy to see this one on the front page. Great work!

YES

• DragonAvenger changed the title to (2017/09/13) *YES - TAG* Donkey Kong 64 "Anthropoid Overture"
  • DragonAvenger locked this topic