• Chorus:
  • Don't write me off like I'm someone's copy 
  • You're not the one who gets to define me
  • I am my own
  • Original
  • All of my heart and my soul... are mine
  •  
  • I've 
  • Heard it said you're not defined by how you were born (fake)
  • Destiny is just an excuse of the battle worn (fake)
  • I've
  • Made my choice to bring the dark into light
  • Hear my voice as I shout to resist madness
  •  
  • Chorus
  •  
  • I feel rushing in my ears
  • I feel pounding in my chest
  • I feel my grip tightening 
  • Cracking through the sins I kept repressed
  •  
  • You say you're the messiah to change us
  • But you're just a puppet with unseen strings
  • You say that I'm a fake but I've my own mind and I'll 
  • Prove to them that I'm more than just my-
  •  
  • Body cries out for relief
  • As we strike each other down
  • our laboured breaths pierce through this scene
  • Silence comes as you fall to the ground
  •  
  • So in the end light shown through
  • I'm more than 
  • just my Past 
  • more than him
  • More than them 
  • I'm my soul
  • I'm me
  •  
  • Chorus

I'll be honest I never know what to say for these things. I love Mega Man's music, throughout all the series (except *maybe* Legends) and I like to sing and layer my voice into thicc choir type sounds. Combine that all together and I can tell the story of the game in as grandiose a manner as possible - but without having to resort to lavish instrumentation. All that's in this is Guitars, Basses, Organs and Vocals. Sure there's a lot of each but I think it communicates the feeling of searching for one's self-identity well.

Since submitting tunes to this site finding that sort of idea compelling and while the story telling of Mega Man games has never been it's strongest point in terms of depth and maturity, I tried to draw as much out of it as I could.

• 2 months later...

As usual I love the gritty approach that you bring to these songs. It not only fits your voice but the transition for the songs is very natural. This mix, however, isn't holding up quite as well for me through a bunch of small issues that are adding up.

The biggest of those issues is the voice treatment. You're lead sounds really up close and dry compared to the rest of what's going on and it sounds like a completely unnatural soundscape as a result. I'd love to hear the lead blended in better with the rest. The vocals also have done small pitch issues which are more noticeable based on how up front the lead is.

The voice leading is awkward in some areas, and is probably one of the hardest parts of fitting vocals into pre-existing melodies. The "I feel" bridge is the biggest offender since there tends to be an awkward pause in the middle of the sentence. "I feel my...grip tightening" is the one that sticks out the most. The next verse (bridge?) has some similar issues. 

I'm betting critical on the vocals specifically because the backing sounds pretty great, good balance, compelling performances, varied drum writing. I'm also a fan of your backing vocal writing, as usual :)

I think the first issue of the vocal treatment is the real deal breaker here, but I think pitch correction and some adjustment to the writing to flow better with the melody world be a strong asset to the overall track. Curious what the others will say here.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

DA's right about the vocals being dry; they're treated, but still too dry. I didn't feel like anything sounded super out of tune though.

The instrumentation sounds like all the highs have been cut, so there's no clarity/sharpness to the soundscape anywhere, and there's a weird balance where the vocals and instrumentation seem to occupy the same frequency range and dull the overall sound.

If you were able to improve the mixing, Connor, this would be set, with the arrangement left as is and untouched. I wouldn't be mad if this passed as is, but to me there's a quality disparity with a strong arrangement and rough mixing.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2017/09/20 - (2N) Mega Man Zero 3 'You Don't Define Me'
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, gonna co-sign with DA/LT here.  Very creative mix here.  Great performances and sequencing.  The mutli-vocal harmonies are super cool when they come in - I especially liked the 3:38 section.

Nitpicking, the "softer" vocals before the transition at 2:01 felt very hesitant.  I can understand if it's a bit high for your range, but it would sound better IMO if you can manage to sing it with a bit more confidence. 

I feel like this is really close to passing as-is.  Getting the vocals to sit better within the mix would definitely put it over the top for me.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/09/20 - (3N) Mega Man Zero 3 'You Don't Define Me'