Round 84: Paper Mario (The Thousand-Year Door) - Petal Meadows

Midi: http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/MnP84_PMTTYOD_Petal_Meadows.mid

Youtube:

Deadline: Dec 7 Thurs @ 1PM

Vote Ends: Dec 9 Sat @ 11PM

Submit your remix Here when completed.

MnP ARCHIVE  made by Trism ;)

MISSION STATEMENT
The goal of Compo:MnP is to promote that "meat and potatoes" conservative approach to remixing: this includes the mood and composition of source tunes. It is up to the remixer to create their own personalization, or to simply give it a sound upgrade. Moreover, the compo is a great opportunity to hone your remixing skills and give video game music the respect that is due. SOME reinterpretation is recommended, but not required.

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

MISC/TIPS
- When picking a source tune, make sure it has a MIDI to make ppl's lives easier.
- In-game sound FX are permitted, so long as they don't comprise the whole track (i.e. replacing entire MIDI tracks with just sfx)

It has been *years* since I've attempted to remix, well, anything, but I wanted to give it another try with this selection here!

And, also, I've been wanting to give this competition a go for a while too, so, here goes! :)

I've got *something* at the moment, but the transitions feel quite a bit abrupt and the EQ (my eternal enemy) needs some serious work. Fun times. :)

I actually sat and thought for a good amount of time of where to even start until I listened to the MIDI and heard the bird and wind sounds - my genre / idea was set!

PM me your entries.  You'll need your own hosting platform in the meantime (soundcloud, mediafire, google drive, etc).  I'm contacting Raminescence via FB.  And for the love of god, make sure that it is in MP3 format.  I had someone email me an m4a which is not applicable. 

EDIT

anyone else need an activation???  Mr. L and Chadlee, do you have account(s) at Thasauce that work?

I, too, am waiting on account activation - I registered about 3 days ago (under the name "KlevarKoopa" (my YouTube name)), but I didn't say much because I figured there was some maintenance work being done or something like that.

But, yeah, I have something to submit! It's a collection of sounds, at least! :D

So, in that case, I'll PM you a link to my entry as soon as I upload it on Soundcloud. I'll edit this post as soon as I do so.

Edit #1: Uploading now. Just wanted to add in some basic metadata.

Edit #2: Uploaded! I just tested to make sure it was downloadable, and it is! I'm sending you a PM now with a private link.

Edited by Mr. L
Status update

Welcome to the Voting Stage!

• There are 3 entries this round.
  • There is 1 Bonus entries this round
  • There IS a voter bonus this round, due to only 2 eligible entries.
  • Silverpool has a vote worth 2x
  • Don't vote for Bonus entries please  
  • Participants may not vote for themselves   

Vote ends Dec 9th Saturday @ 11 PM

Comments:

Copy-paste-itis again.  THERE IS a voter bonus.  People who cannot access ThaSauce, PM me your votes and I shall enter into system.  Thanks all!!

UPDATE on ThaSauce accounts:

Starphenoix: resolved!

Chadlee: TBA - what account did you register as??

Mr. L: TBA - account registered as?? (is it KlevarKoopa??)

satoka-eldon: TBA - you SHOULD be in the system, but there was a communicato issue - should be resolved soon.

AND remember, there IS a voter bonus.  Starpheonix, you may use ThaSauce to vote since you're fixed.  Klevar, satoka-eldon and Chadlee PM me your votes if you want to enter a vote (and comment).  Thanks!!

20 minutes ago, HoboKa said:

satoka-eldon: TBA - you SHOULD be in the system, but there was a communicato issue - should be resolved soon.

Yes, indeed! KlevarKoopa is me!

Still no success on activation, unfortunately.

Also, on the current topic, I'm loving the entries so far! :)

(Removed a question here, since it was answered below).

*edit* Share your thoughts in a PM vote or vote at ThaSauce (if you're able) whilst the voting stage is on.  Then you may share as you will.  We don't want to color perception before the time is done, as it can sometimes skew opinions before they're done.  That's what Bundeslang and the other compo hosts believe(d) in, and I shall stand by that.  Silverpool is a BONUS entry, thus it is OK to comment on him now since he is not an eligible entry to be voted upon.  Still, it's best to leave comments with a vote or until the voting process is done.  Apologies for the hassle, all.  But rules, 'n all. #6

We should have you sorted out soon, KlevarKoopa :D

MnP Instructions/Guidelines

1. Covers and Sound Upgrades are permitted.
  2. Most or all of the source notes must be present (but not necessarily in the exact same order), secondly the mood (energy, pacing, feelings being conveyed etc) should also be retained. For example, a source tune that is fast-paced and energetic that's remixed into a mellow/chill-out theme would be a hard sell.
  3. If you decide to do a genre swap (i.e. symphonic to techno), make sure that the conditions of #2 are met.
  4. Submissions must be at a maximum of 20mb (keeping in step with ThaSauce's file size max).
  5. Only 1 entry per participant. Previous winner cannot participate but can submit a BONUS entry.
  6. Please don't make any comments about people's entries - including your own - until the Voting process is concluded.  BONUS entries are exempt of this rule.
  7. All competitors and voters must adhere to the rules stated within: Competition Code and Conduct

8 hours ago, HoboKa said:

AND remember, there IS a voter bonus.  Starpheonix, you may use ThaSauce to vote since you're fixed.  Klevar, satoka-eldon and Chadlee PM me your votes if you want to enter a vote (and comment).  Thanks!!

Looking forward to it being fixed! (Just tried, still no luck.)

(All righty, it looks like voting concluded a while ago, so...)

I enjoyed all of the entries for this round, so thanks to everyone for submitting! Here are a few quick thoughts I had:

Chadlee: Very clean production and good synth choice! You could just drop this right into the game! Nicely done!

satoka-eldon: I liked the more downtempo approach (at least, that's what it sounded like to me) you had here, but it still kept the kind of festive feel the original had. I also liked the 8-bit synth you introduced at 1:13, though I would've loved to have heard more of it. Overall, it was a very enjoyable entry!

Silverpool: Taking Paper Mario back to the past! I'm a fan of that lead synth (I love 8-bit retro goodness). Good work on this, and I'm going to have to try this genre one day. :-D

Thanks once again for the entries!

*EDIT*: I was able to log in to my ThaSauce account! :) Thanks for the comments everyone! :D Also, thanks HoboKa for bringing up the issue and whoever fixed it so I could log in (sorry, not sure who the administrator might be at the current time, but if you're reading this - thank you very much!)

Sorry for falling asleep at the wheel there.  Wound up sleeping all day yesterday pretty much.  There were 2 votes that I could not enter as ThaSauce is giving me trouble.  Probably due to the compo finishing its deadline and its semi-glitched, even after I changed the due-date parameters.  And I FORGOT TO VOTE ON TIME.  I'm not worthy!!! Wahhhhwahwahwahluiigiiii WHY

EDIT So here's the 3 additional votes that couldn't be entered in because #interwebs=ass

Satoka-eldon

1. Chadlee

2. Klevarkoopa

3. ________

Chadlee: mostly a tight mix - I like the restraint shown towards reverb and echo, and most of the instruments/synths used. I personally think the horns could swapped out for something a little smoother-sounding though.

Klevarkoopa - I like the bird sounds! The bass really needs to hit on the beat though - a synth might do better. There are some interesting ideas in the middle in terms of composition by repeating established phrases, although (especially at 1:44) the transitions could be a little smoother. The ending, although always tricky to deal with for tracks which originally loop, needs a bit more polish, like a crescendo.

Chadlee

1. Satoka-Eldon 

2. Klevar Koopa / Mr. L

3. ________

(no comments, he might add some later :P)

ME

satoka-eldon - nice beat and jive - bit on the quiet side, but that's okay.  Nice re interpretive touches, conservative as MnP demands but still has unique touches.  Love the chip-tune bits too.

KlevarKoopa - has an epic Mario 64 feel to it - some of the samples felt very N64-ish which is awesome for nostalgic feels.  Love the wind and bird FX.  This ALMOST took first place until I sat down and re-listened to all the tracks.  Still, top notch!

Chadlee - Man this is tied for 2nd place for me, alas I cannot do that.  Love the delayed-reverb trumpets and the marimbas.  Real good drive and nice quality of sound.  

Silverpool - HEY you took more risks!!  Good!  There's a bit more creativity in here than your usual works, you're starting to develop your own sound.  The 2/3 mark is my favorite part. 

Now to tally the votes!!! 

WOW! Okay, umm... well then! *ahem*

Wow - first place - I'm honored!

I really appreciate the votes, and I'm also glad that everyone seemed to enjoy it! Thanks also for all of the comments / critiques you all had - they were very helpful and I hope to fix them in the next round.

Once again, everyone's entries were great and I really enjoyed listening to them!

*Hurries off to find an wintery entry*

*EDIT*: Suggestion sent, HoboKa! Hope it fits the criteria, and I hope you all enjoy it! :D