Ads on OC ReMix YouTube Channel

djpretzel

I again give my permission to monetize my songs on the ocr youtube channel. I don't post much anymore but the site's existence is still important to me, so anything to help make the site's costs easier to manage and plan for is fine by me. Please upload a video at some point of all of Liontamer's Lamborghini hot tubs, though.

On 12/2/2017 at 5:56 PM, Rozovian said:

So long as there's transparency, I'm cool with it. Can we see some more specific numbers, like an end-of-the-year report on costs and revenue? How much is being paid out of pocket, how much does patreon cover, ads, other donations, other costs...

@Rozovian So last year we filed a 990-N, because we're under the $50K limit and had only been a 501c3 for a grand total of one month & change, in 2016.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/annual-electronic-filing-requirement-for-small-exempt-organizations-form-990-n-e-postcard

For our 2017 taxes, I'm planning on doing the full 990, which does spell things out more explicitly. We need to amend our bylaws, get those online, and check some other boxes, but information like you're requesting WILL be made publicly available in Q1 2018 when we go through this process.

On 12/5/2017 at 11:35 PM, djpretzel said:

@Rozovian So last year we filed a 990-N, because we're under the $50K limit and had only been a 501c3 for a grand total of one month & change, in 2016.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/annual-electronic-filing-requirement-for-small-exempt-organizations-form-990-n-e-postcard

For our 2017 taxes, I'm planning on doing the full 990, which does spell things out more explicitly. We need to amend our bylaws, get those online, and check some other boxes, but information like you're requesting WILL be made publicly available in Q1 2018 when we go through this process.

Good. I've seen some criticism and such over ocr vs. money, and have been wondering if I should agree with it. This should clear that up.

• 11 months later...

Just want to throw out there what I think. I don't know the whole story to this, though, I gave good effort on reading up on it. But I could prob do better lol. I also do not know the inner workings of ocremix. So keep that in mind if I say something stupid as you may accuse me of trolling.

I think if I were to be 100% real here... Seriously. There is some out of turn entitlement here. All this labor in transparency -in my nutto opinion- is above and beyond, it is not something that I feel should be expected. Perhaps a *few* have a valid case-but I’m just saying that because of my lack of confidence in these happenings.

Obviously I am not a lawyer, and it is my understanding that when we submit a remix, we still can do whatever we legally can with it. And with this in mind… I feel that it is none of anyone’s business (save for the owner or owners) what numbers are coming in, how profitable (or unprofitable) ocremix is, how much people are getting paid, etc…

1: You submit a remix to a site… A website in which you have no obligation or right to its expenses, upkeep and future upkeep/continuity…

2: People take time out of their lives to not only judge it, but handle it, organize it, present it, appear to be fair, etc... Last time I checked no one paid anything to download or submit.

3: If the remix gets in, you get free exposure from a base that you didn’t build, and no cost of hosting. Not to mention the structure, moderation and support of the community. Am I missing something?

Perhaps this is all a publicity thing to combat bad publicity. I don’t know. I’m just a low tier remixer. An old rusty g string.

But this feels weird. Like come on. If ocremix makes a gajilion dollars with billion gajilion dollar exposure, pretty sure you home studio remixer dudes will benefit. I really can’t put my finger on it, like the entitlement to money/fame ratio is messed up here. I can’t put my finger on it, just don’t like the spirit of it. Like we got quincy jones, and Michael jacksons, and timbalands posted here, where their presence is bigger than ocremix.

As for the topic of youtube ads… I’ll try and not to rant on that as well… Ads is what pays youtubes bills and content creators… All these expectations for free quality stuff…

I say throw ads on it. Throw a bunch of ads on it. Or don’t if it ends up indirectly costing more. There’re other outlets on the site that you can get the music free of ads. A lot of people don’t give a shit or respect the maintenance and labor of whatever they are grabbing for free. And for those who complain about ads, get that ad free youtube subscription thing.

• djpretzel unpinned and unfeatured this topic
  • 3 months later...

We're proceeding with this action for all videos and will see how it goes; we are equally concerned about diversifying support for the site AND also the promotion/marketing angle, since we believe YouTube highlights monetized content more aggressively (or, if you prefer, tends to de-emphasize non-monetized content)