OCR03652 - Secret of Mana "Whispers"

Liontamer

Honestly, I liked everything about the track except the vocals & lyrics. It feels way too distracting and forced in, what has always been to me, a very calming (thus mantra) track. Whisper and Mantra never struck me as a track that needed words. Whispers of the forest, maybe.

So I actually love Enigma, and I'm forced to agree that the whispered lyrics actually distract me from the track, but let's be clear - the track is wonderful, and I'm a big fan of what the remixers went for with this effort. It's almost like they could have been separate songs. But I hope this doesn't discourage the remixer from trying something so beautifully ethereal in the future. I definitely give props to the idea and most of the execution!

5 hours ago, DimeTower said:

So I actually love Enigma, and I'm forced to agree that the whispered lyrics actually distract me from the track, but let's be clear - the track is wonderful, and I'm a big fan of what the remixers went for with this effort. It's almost like they could have been separate songs. But I hope this doesn't discourage the remixer from trying something so beautifully ethereal in the future. I definitely give props to the idea and most of the execution!

Don't worry, I am used to not everybody liking remixes with lyrics and vocals in them, but that won't stop me from making others if I feel like it. Thanks for the constructive criticism and tone (also from others in this thread), it's better than the sometimes vocal complainers that ask me how I dare ruin cult classics with vocals.

See you in the next vocal track ;)

On 12/14/2017 at 1:17 AM, timaeus222 said:

I mean, I get the intent of the whispered vocals, but I would rather they were simply sung, y'know? Kinda awkward that they were whispered loudly. Otherwise I think the vocals actually make sense here and DO aid the soundscape.

Completely agree!

The spoken word comes off more cheesy than evocative. The problem with whispering, and telling someone to listen to whispers is just a bit odd. The whisper at a really loud volume makes it feel as if the vocalist is literally in your face whispering; which is usually never pleasant.

The sung vocals are pretty cool, more jazzy than ethereal, which gives the track this cool hybrid vibe.