Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword (Lake Floria)

BenEmberley

Hello Everyone!

As I'm new to this forum, I'd like to start off by posting here something I've recently completed.  It's an Orchestral Arrangement of Lake Floria from Legend of Zelda - Skyward Sword.  Being a classically trained composer, not a mixer, I don't really know if this is the best place to share this kind of music, but as a musician who has orchestrated and provided music for the SotG Concert, I'd like to share some of what I have done/am doing.  The link to the Soundcloud page is below.  If it's popular, I will post more in the future.

55 minutes ago, FUSION42 said:

I really enjoyed listening to this!  Is there any specific kind of feedback you are looking for?  

Thanks Fusion :)  In regards to feedback, I know this is not the kind of forum where classical arrangements seem to be frequently submitted; it's mostly electronic remixes, but from your perspective as a musician/music maker, I'd welcome your opinion on the way the piece is structured and orchestrated, or if there's anything that sounds "out of place" in any way, etc.

First question, how come you got so few followers and likes even after posting it here (and probably elsewhere too)? You deserve so much more!

I will also give you a review for your symphonic poem later but first I'll have to listen to the entire piece.

What I especially like about it is that you don't try to let it sound like one of those typical Hollywood film scores. Because that's what most people do when they orchestrate game music. I can hear that you come from classical music and have a deep knowledge of composition and arrangement so you don't fall into using stereotypes only (no stereotypes at all wouldn't be good either except if you'd want to make some avant-garde stuff).
I don't have anything constructive feedback to give, because I totally like it as it is.

I absolutely prefer this over most electronic remixes, but I'm also new here so I'm probably not the typical OCRemix audience. LOL My game covers will be mostly Prog, or if electronic then Eurobeat or Synthwave (maybe I'll try some Hypertechno too). But I agree getting feedback from musicians of other genres is often very helpful, because they may have a completely different perspective and notice things you wouldn't have noticed on your own.

8 hours ago, Heavyarms83 said:

First question, how come you got so few followers and likes even after posting it here (and probably elsewhere too)? You deserve so much more!

I will also give you a review for your symphonic poem later but first I'll have to listen to the entire piece.

What I especially like about it is that you don't try to let it sound like one of those typical Hollywood film scores. Because that's what most people do when they orchestrate game music. I can hear that you come from classical music and have a deep knowledge of composition and arrangement so you don't fall into using stereotypes only (no stereotypes at all wouldn't be good either except if you'd want to make some avant-garde stuff).
I don't have anything constructive feedback to give, because I totally like it as it is.

I absolutely prefer this over most electronic remixes, but I'm also new here so I'm probably not the typical OCRemix audience. LOL My game covers will be mostly Prog, or if electronic then Eurobeat or Synthwave (maybe I'll try some Hypertechno too). But I agree getting feedback from musicians of other genres is often very helpful, because they may have a completely different perspective and notice things you wouldn't have noticed on your own.

Thanks so much for the kind words!  To be honest, I'm not sure why I have so few followers:  I am new here, I've only been here for about a fortnight, and I've only uploaded a couple of pieces, including one submitted to the Judges for use in OCR, and I've only just began to frequent some of the musical groups on FB, like GANG and Materia Collective, so I'm not sure how to develop and build up a following.  I also wrote a commentary on The Creation of Hyrule and how I wrote it in which I posted in the Music Composition and Production Forum - I find it interesting to learn how people construct the music they write.   My music is more orchestral than electronic, so while it might not be the mainstream style here, hopefully it's Videogame element may garner some attention.  It'd be nice! :)

Aww, but we love more traditional arrangements when we can get them - having a formal education myself I appreciate the amount of work that goes into things like this. Our most posted ReMixer this year was Rebecca, after all, and she does nothing but luscious, full orchestral arrangements. This is certainly more subtle in some ways, emulating something stylistically akin to late Classical music (like Beethoven's 6th) or early Romantic (thinking like Edward Grieg's 'Morning Music'). It's really quite neat, even if some of the instruments are a bit mechanical (them violins toward the end, for example).

OCR has a strange rep from ages past on being all about the untz, though I can't imagine why. Maybe it's because of the easier level of accessibility solely writing in a DAW has? Perhaps DjP's hillbilly Bubble Bobble is considered too low class to call classically arranged? Ah well, that's neither here nor there, since you're sending stuff my way in the inbox. :)

Personally, I'm looking forward to more Schoenberg or Babbitt-styled 12-tone arrangements to come our way, but people tend to shy away from those styles when remixing (save for one notable WoW remix we received years back... eh, that's more Messiaen, according to the artist, anyway). I can't imagine why. :P