*NO* Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors 2 'The Knight Returns'

Gario

My name/ReMixer name: Brett Christian Harrison

Forum ID: BrettCH
Game: Ironsword-Wizards and Warriors II
Song: Main Theme
Arrangement Name: The Knight's Return

It took a little while but this is my second submission of this remix... Made a few tweaks, I hope you guys like it ;)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• Liontamer changed the title to (2017/10/04) - Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors 2 'The Knight Returns'
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with MW's comments above, but will try to give some additional thoughts.  The intro starts out pretty interesting to set the mood.  However, beyond that, the track is never able to click together.  

The kick sounds more like a muffled, reverbed bass drum than an electronic click, so it never cuts through and sounds out of place.  I'm not big on hoover bass synths (that's the name for those, right??), but I know they can work in certain contexts, so not sure how to advise you there.  The rest of the sounds, in general, sound sort of "out of the box" both with their tones and some of the effects used on them and don't work to compliment each other.  I'll also second that with pushing the volume levels, the track starts getting overcompressed and distorted at times.

It sounds like you're probably somewhat new to remixing, so I wanted to share a few tips that really helped me starting out:

1. Don't give up :)

2. *** Don't get too attached to a particular idea or remix attempt at the start - lay stuff aside and try something new.  This will allow you to get more experience under your belt rather than spinning your wheels on a single song.

3. Spend some quality time on the WIP board - not only putting your songs out, but listening and analyzing other songs as well.  What makes them work.

You've clearly got some interesting ideas and a grasp on the basics of music making.  Now it's time to hone your craft. :)

NO

• Nutritious changed the title to (2017/10/04) - (2N) Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors 2 'The Knight Returns'
20 hours ago, Nutritious said:

Yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with MW's comments above, but will try to give some additional thoughts.  The intro starts out pretty interesting to set the mood.  However, beyond that, the track is never able to click together.  

The kick sounds more like a muffled, reverbed bass drum than an electronic click, so it never cuts through and sounds out of place.  I'm not big on hoover bass synths (that's the name for those, right??), but I know they can work in certain contexts, so not sure how to advise you there.  The rest of the sounds, in general, sound sort of "out of the box" both with their tones and some of the effects used on them and don't work to compliment each other.  I'll also second that with pushing the volume levels, the track starts getting overcompressed and distorted at times.

It sounds like you're probably somewhat new to remixing, so I wanted to share a few tips that really helped me starting out:

1. Don't give up :)

2. *** Don't get too attached to a particular idea or remix attempt at the start - lay stuff aside and try something new.  This will allow you to get more experience under your belt rather than spinning your wheels on a single song.

3. Spend some quality time on the WIP board - not only putting your songs out, but listening and analyzing other songs as well.  What makes them work.

You've clearly got some interesting ideas and a grasp on the basics of music making.  Now it's time to hone your craft. :)

NO

Quoted for truth & emphasis. This was far from the bar, Brett, but don't be discouraged and keep on learning. You have some decent sounds, but others were much more abrasive. Melodically, this didn't go in many creative directions although the attempt was made to personalize the sound palette. Dynamically, the energy levels were pretty steady/flat most of the way, so this didn't progress in much of a meaningful arc, though you did have a nice subtraction-based finish to at least have some dynamic contrast toward the end.

1) Use our Workshop forums like Nutritious mentioned

2) Do what you can to ensure your instrumentation isn't grating; and

3) Consider other aspects of arrangement like more variations in the tempo, rhythm, and melody, and adding in original sections or countermelodies.

NO