OCR03657 - Secret of Mana "Under Cover of Night"

Liontamer

Love the style. Very effective transformation of the source, the union of the beat, the atmosphere and the synths with the original tune works both ways. I do like the simple source, so I'm quite happy to hear a version that retains some of its feel, is very recognizable and yet covers plenty of new territory. One good example is how the bass moves to introduce harmonic variation that briefly changes the 'emotion' of the tune, and then returns back to the solemn single note bass. I also liked the ending, it feels like a transition out of the tune, which works nicely in album context.

Two major points here. One, I can't believe the difficulty level here - it's like someone took the Nightmare setting from Doom and applied it to an OST - and two, I can't believe how good this remix is. If you want to get a sense of how great this is, make it to 2:02 and you will be rewarded with ever more interesting takes for nearly the entire remainder (3:30-3:50 really had me going) that make you wonder how long this can possibly keep up. And yet it does - again, with practically nothing! It's nuts!

Incredible effort from the remixer here!