SNES Street Fighter II Ken Stage Remix - Original game samples

Cheebs

Here is a straight literal remix of Ken's Stage for Super Nintendo.  As in, I used emulation of extract the highest quality version of each sound channel from the original game, and then remixed it all in a DAW without adding any outside samples or tracks from any other source.  Modern EQ, reverb, compression, and guitar amp simulators helped a lot to improve the sound.  A few measures of the original SNES sound are spliced in for comparison. 

Interesting idea. It sounds definitely cleaner and more transparent than the original. Though I think that's not always for the better. The guitar has a not so good attack IMO and sounds better when it's not that present and the high frequencies of the lead synth also aren't that much of a pleasure to listen to. But that's not your fault of course, it's the source material.

I think there is a bit too much compression or brickwall limiting on the master or maybe just not the best settings, I can't figure out exactly what it is but there seems to be some pumping. Otherwise I like the kick/bass balance, you did an absolutely great job here.

Yes, you are indeed hearing pumping. I did that intentionally. Maybe a bit too much? Ha ha. I didn't feel like being subtle with any of this on the chance that it would end up sounding too much like the original. This is the second "literal" remix I've done of SNES music (usually I'm blending in other consoles in addition), so I'm sure my technique will continue to grow and perhaps some subtlety came come back. :)