*NO* Dota 2 "Dota Intimacy - A Mage's Curiosity"

Gario

Hi!

I'm Jaimy Kortenhoff, a aspiring music composer and I've made some projects over the years. Music and gaming are my biggest passions therefore the two often collide. I wanted to make a library of music for people who appreciate them, so i decided to do it on OCREMIX. Ive been a long time lurker here but its time to contribute!

Contact information:
Remixer name: See4urSelf
User ID on forums: http://ocremix.org/community/profile/34885-see4urself/ (i presume 34885)

Submission information:
Name of games arranged: Dota 2
Name of arrangement: Dota Intimacy - A Mage's Curiosity 
Additional information about game: Dota 2 is a ARTS that took the world by storm. Coming from a popular mod for Warcraft 3, Valve created and expanded on the world of DotA. Dota 2 is available for free on Steam (PC, Mac, Linux). Composer of the OST is Tim Larkin. 
Own comments: Dota 2 has a incredible soundtrack. From bombastic classical war tunes to serene idle soundscapes. The idea behind this mix was to create the serenity on piano and build it up with some percussion. Something hopefully no one saw coming. Added lead lines rounds up the entire mix into something more complete. 

Hopefully this information is adequate! Hope to hear from you soon,

With kind regards,

Jaimy Kortenhoff

I like this - the whole track is just oozing smoothness throughout. The lowpassed piano at the beginning is a great way to get the listener ready for the jazzy styled drums that come in at 1:11, and those pads make for a great accompaniment to the piano when things pick up.

That being said, this isn't without it's issues. The piano's lowpass is pretty cool in the beginning, but with the rest of the instruments in the track being as bottom heavy as they are it would serve the arrangement well to open up the EQ range of the piano, if only to better fill the space. It's likely a stylistic choice so I won't count it too much against the vote, but when everything comes together the EQ range is limited to the lower end, which make the whole arrangement sound dull.

More importantly, once things get started at 1:10, the rest of the track goes into autopilot, repeating the same melody line twice with some additional material behind it to give some variety. It's not quite copy/paste, but the meat of the arrangement does sound static, with the drums doing the same thing throughout and the piano, pads & bassline doing the same thing as they've been doing before. Don't be afraid to drop instruments from time to time, vary their textures and layouts, etc., anything to keep the listener interested once you've finished introducing all of your ideas past the 1:11 mark.

Again, I like this - what IS here is well done. However, with so many recycled elements the listener tires of what you're presenting long before you finish. Oversaturated low end aside, this needs some more attention to the arrangement so that it doesn't feel so static before we can pass this. Changing instruments from time to time, dropping parts (like at 2:29), switching up the drumline, altering the textures, etc.; there are many approaches one can take to fix this issue.

Good work so far, but it's not quite there yet.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Not to just echo Gario, but I'm just gonna echo Gario.

Love the vibe, nice kit & beat.  Agreed, though, that it's low-heavy and lacking high end clarity on any of the elements - especially the Bass which sounded overly "boomy."  

Also, the writing itself remains basically the same throughout, with some gradual instrument introductions and drop outs, making the whole thing feel a bit underdeveloped to me.  Though I like the beat, it really needs variation in the form of fills and change-ups.

GREAT start, cool song, but needs more development and some production tuning.

NO resubmit, please

• Nutritious changed the title to 2017/10/18 - (2N) Dota 2 "Dota Intimacy - A Mage's Curiosity"
  • 2 weeks later...

Can't argue with any of that.  As a score, it's quite nice.  I could easily see this in the background of one of the mellow sections of, say, a Silent Hill game.  But as a piece of music to just listen to, the repetitive arrangement and textures don't have much to hold a listener's interest for its duration.  Great foundation, but it needs more built on it.

NO