The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Skipper Supreme (Lanayru Harbor)

heymagurany

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kfzmuJDH219sAaJClFQAJbfra_pOSLz/view?usp=sharing

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting here and my second attempt at remixing so I'm looking for some feedback. This song, the Lanayru Harbor music from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, may seem like a weird choice but the song always stuck out to me. One day it dawned on me that smashing the song Augusta, GA by Into It. Over It. and the Lanayru Harbor song together might yield something cool. Well, this rock remix is what came out of it. 

I'm particularly looking for feedback on the mix since that is something I've never been good at. Also, the song is pretty short, but both of the source songs are pretty short and I couldn't come up with anything to add length that didn't sound forced.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't offer anything too helpful about the mix except that maybe the rhythm guitar at 0:10 should be double-tracked instead of just a single track that's panned towards the right, which is what it sounds like to me a the moment. That or just move the single track a bit more to the centre. At the moment it sounds a bit weird on headphones especially when the song is more empty at the beginning and end where there aren't other instruments counterbalancing the panning.

Good job though. Hope to hear a new version.

EVAL

Oh, never heard this source before (haven't played Skyward Sword)... That's a pretty cool, calming source. The direction you took with this is clever, and it fits very well. The production is very well done, and you've got the chops to match.

A few points: at 2:06 the higher lead is a half step too high, clashing with the chord prior pretty hard. It's the same as the doubling at 1:56, but the harmonies cause it to clash. Not a deal breaker, but it's something that you'll likely get called out on. The end of the recording retains the release on your guitar, which sounds like an artifact. Not sure if that was intentional or not, but it'd sound cleaner if that part was edited out.

Not too much else to say on this one - it's in pretty good shape otherwise. If you sub'd it now it'd likely pass, so by all means send it our way. Nice work on this one!

Thanks, @Gario! Yeah I fought with that harmony for a while. The chord is a D7sus4 but it sounds super weird so that higher lead was changing it to a DM7sus4. So I just tracked a new harmony so that chord is a Dsus4. Probably too much detail, but you hit on a thing I was really struggling with. I hope the new one is a little easier on the ears.

I also faded out the end to to remove that artifact. It was intentional, but the song really doesn't need the extra few seconds.

If I don't hear anything else I'll start the submission process. Thanks again!