Cloud Dweller - Orbital inspired Trance

Nubblecakes

Hey there guys. I recently finished this simple little trance track and thought I'd share it here for anyone who likes relaxing trance music. This track actually came about as I was playing with the Mandachord in the game Warframe. You can make silly little songs with it and play them in the game as a bard character to buff your allies. I also had Orbital on the mind as I was adapting my silly Mandachord song in to a full track, and this was the result.

Of course, "adapting" is kind of a stretch here, since you can only make very basic loops with the Mandachord that are only four bars long with simple drums, a bass line, and a melody. You're also limited to a D-Minor Pentatonic scale and a BPM of 120 to boot, so the resulting "song" can only be so complex. But I see the limitation as an interesting challenge when I try to turn it in to a full track in FL Studio, so I enjoyed the process a lot. I've actually done another track like this in the past, which turned out a lot different from this one in terms of the song's overall tone.

Anyway, I hope you like it. Feel free to lay out any criticisms you may have. I'm always open to it.

Hmmm I'm not familiar with the game your referenced but this is like a mellow dance track. It's definitely good background music and is an easy listen. I wouldn't worry about the complexity or repetitiveness either especially considering the limitations you talked about. Too many changes might've taken away from one of this track's best qualities in being simple.

I think maybe some added drama could've helped. For example, there's a point around 3:00 where it's just a kick and melody and the other sounds fade in. Maybe the melody could've used a filter or phaser to make it even softer and let the kick stand out. That with the reverse cymbal crash could make a nice build up. Just an idea. Also I think a different bass synth that stands out more would've helped too but that may be because of the limitations.

Yeah, I wanted to keep the song minimal overall, but still be worth listening to. As far as limitations go, the only real ones I worked with were the D-Minor Pentatonic scale and the 120 BPM. Obviously I could always just ignore those limitations, but I thought they were interesting enough, plus 120 is a solid bpm for mellow trance in my opinion. I tried going up and down a few digits but it just didn't feel right to me. As far as actual synths go, there's definitely nothing limiting there, so the bass synth is definitely something I could address. I think it sounds fine for the first half of the song, but it might be a bit too dull in the latter half since there's more going on at that point.

I wasn't all that sure what to do around the 3 minute mark, I just knew that I needed for the song to calm down then build to the next part. But your ideas sound interesting so I might try them out. I definitely agree that there needs to be some automation there to keep things interesting.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. It's greatly appreciated. If you're interested in the game I'm talkin about, I actually made a little video showing the original song I based this off of. You can watch it below.

• 2 weeks later...