Link's Awakening - Ghost House

bGevko

Hey guys, how's it going?  My first post here. I have a remix from one of my favorite games, Link's Awakening.  This one was a lot of fun to remix. Once it took off, it pretty much made itself, like I was both the driver and the passenger.  I’m looking to see if I can get a second opinion on where I can improve.  Particularly, if there's anything in the mix that stands out, or perhaps in the arrangement.  Thanks a lot.  I wasn’t planning on submitting this officially, but I changed my mind and decided to give it a shot.

I'm a massive Link's Awakening fan. Have been since I got the original back in 1993 for christmas. I love this remix. The in-game sound effects are a good inclusion, to really cement the original 8-bit sound. That works. I hear cuucos, the seagulls, picking up hearts, falling down a hole, even the dash sound from using the Pegesus Boots. Lots of detail to the game sounds in there.This really works great.

There is a minor issue with the name, though. You see, you have the Ghost House theme as the source. But it's really just the Mabe Village theme, slowed down and sadder. This remix is upbeat, bouncy and happy, like the Mabe theme. I like the surf sound effect you used to tie it to the beach that the Ghost House sits upon, but again, this is too upbeat and happy to be the place where you take a wandering spirit for one last look at it's old home.

From 0:00 to 0:30, it's a perfect start that long-time players can identify as the Ghost House. But from 0:31 to 1:02, it starts to sound more like the everyday life stuff you can connect with Mabe Village more than the Ghost House. After 1:32 is so much more fitting with Mabe, that it stops being even remotely connected to the shore. But then it softens and slows down at 2:03 to 2:28, it's back up to being closer to the Ghost House again. 2:43 to 3:53, it full-on small-town life again. 3:54 to the end, it's sadder, slower, more peaceful, reflecting the Ghost House theme again.

I suggest putting both sources in for the title. I know it's entirely a pedantic thing, and it has nothing to do with the actual quality o the remix (which is pretty damn good), but it makes a bit more sense. You get two really good sources for one, it connects better, etc.

Again, awesome remix. Love it.

@The Damned Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment.  What you’re saying makes a lot of sense and the title is a bit deceiving.  I suppose if I were to try to paint a picture with the remix, it would be more on the sunny and happy side instead of the gloomy sadness that the ghost house represented.

While creating the track, I didn’t really intend for it to be happy. Original plan was to capture the sadness of the scene.  However, as it started taking shape, it somehow went into the opposite direction.  A little on the deeper side, I began imagining what it would be like from the ghost’s perspective to become alive for just one more day on Koholint island.  I tried to capture the essence of the day,  from the morning, noon, afternoon, and the evening sunset; the sections were meant to be symbolic of this, but only in my mind.  I didn’t really expect anyone to interpret it the same way, but hopefully hat makes sense.  

@Black_Doom

Thank you very much for your kind words, I think I’ll give it a shot and submit it.

I listened to this the other day and I thought it was very good. The jazzy section starting at 1:05 is my favorite part. Honestly, I'm not a Zelda player so I couldn't tell you much in that regard and I didn't have anything constructive to say at the time.

I did listen to the original for reference though and I'd be interested to see what is said by the panel if you do decide to submit. Great work!