REMIX - FF9 - Terra || FF6 - Phantom Forest

rakafella1018

Hi OC Remix! I want to share my newest arrangement, intertwining the the themes of "Terra" from FF9 and "Phantom Forest" from FF6. These tracks both introduce new, mysterious locations to the gamer, twisting what they've learned so far in the game.

Ironically I just happened to listen to these songs one-after-the-other in my playlist, and immediately heard the similarities! My arrangement strays from my usual style of upbeat remixes.. It felt weird to me to keep a beat with barely using any percussion.

I hope you enjoy listening to this! I'm open to any comments and feedback, and greatly appreciate your time listening to my music. Thank you!!

My ReMix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaFFnD-uCco

FF9 Terra Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1kNuPj2vO8

FF6 Phantom Forest Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq8TV1PqZvw

• 4 weeks later...

Were you actually looking for a mod review? (If not, just pretend this is regular critique.)

ARRANGEMENT

I'm not very familiar with these sources, but after listening to this back and forth, it seems to be a fairly conservative arrangement. Not necessarily an issue in and of itself, but in terms of OCR guidelines, a ReMix that sounds too close to the original generally doesn't demonstrate as much interpretation as it could. What I would suggest is deviation in the (i) structure, (ii) rhythm, (iii) harmonies, and so on.

I have this feeling that you maybe listened to the original and tried to be faithful to it, and ended up having very similar note sequences on each instrument; from what I can tell, this ended up being not too far from an instrument switch on a nearly exact transcription.

A nice analogy is plagiarism (sans the connotation); if you look at someone else's work and just try to reword it, chances are you might not really reword it that much if you really like their wording. But if you don't have that person's work in front of you, and you just try to come up with the same ideas in your own words, you have a much better chance of making a more original work that satisfies the assignment.

OVERALL

I like the result personally, and I can appreciate the melodic variation you tried later on in the track. The pacing is alright, and I didn't find it all that repetitive. [In terms of "would this be accepted on OCR?" though, probably not.]

-----

ADVICE?

If I were to have remixed these two sources, my approach would be to listen to each source and try to internalize the melodies over a few days or weeks. From the melody, I would imagine my own harmonies, or perhaps try to hum one melody on top while the other source is playing. When I come up with something neat, then I start writing from scratch with no pre-loaded MIDI.

As an easy example, try humming the "chorus" from the Super Mario 64 credits theme on top of the Pokemon GSC Goldenrod City theme. That's one I found recently!

On 2/14/2018 at 4:30 AM, timaeus222 said:

ADVICE?

If I were to have remixed these two sources, my approach would be to listen to each source and try to internalize the melodies over a few days or weeks. From the melody, I would imagine my own harmonies, or perhaps try to hum one melody on top while the other source is playing.

This is a good method that works for me a lot of times.  In fact I think most of my most transformative mixes come from "shower humming".