Best Midi breath controllers?

mickomoo

A friend of mine wants to get into midi production and plays brass (and has limited experience with woodwinds). While there are plenty of midi keyboards out there I'm not at all familiar with any wind controllers. Do y'all have any recommendations? Also, just for my own edification, what're the advantages of a wind controller to a keyboard controller, or is one not better than the other?

• 2 weeks later...

The only one I know of is the one from Akai. AKAI EWI USB. There is also model with a built in synth, so you can use it without a computer. The USB one comes with samples and such for using it with, so I think looking into that one might be worth it. I don't really think there are any other options on the market.

On 1/15/2018 at 9:20 PM, mickomoo said:

Also, just for my own edification, what're the advantages of a wind controller to a keyboard controller, or is one not better than the other?

They both essentially send midi notes and can be used to play any midi instrument. The difference is with keyboards you get the modwheel (and/or expression pedals) for sound modulations, with breath controllers you instead use the intensity of your breath which can be much more natural and expressive and can achieve more natural results.

There are midi controllers shaped and designed resembling actual intruments from the woodwinds family, such as the Roland AE-10 or the Akai EWI series.
But you can also get products like the TEControl stuff, which give you the benefits of breath midi control along with the benefits of any standard midi keyboard, so you don't have to learn a completely new instrument, and don't cost you nearly as much as an EWI or AE-10.

I've never had the chance of using one from TEControl but I'd really like to try it in the future.

In any case, check for compatibility with the type of libraries and sampler you intend to use it with.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:50 AM, Moseph said:

I own a TEControl breath controller and like it. I'd recommend them if you're looking for something on the less expensive side that doesn't require knowing/learning wind instrument fingerings. It needs to be paired with a keyboard, though -- it doesn't have any note input of its own.

Wow. Didn't know such a thing existed. There is a new model apparently which has also bite and head tilt sensors. There are a few videos out there and it does look impressive. I think I am going to get one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRDzn6pZwlM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6n0tPvNOFsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQpSDph_c4k

• 8 months later...

If your friend is not familiar with woodwinds, he might find the keys of a wind controller a bit tricky to get used to. If he plays the keyboard, however, I would also recommend a simple breath controller like TEControl. I use if for all my productions, and I find it indispensable. With their latest model you can indeed control other parameters for real time control of things such as vibrato, growl, now pressure (for strings) etc.. Check it out below:

The piece below was recorded with the TEC breath controller, both for the trumpet and cello: