Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Don't Forget Me (Torigoth-Night)

FUSION42

So I recently blitzed through Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which has an awesome soundtrack.  Like seriously even if you don't have an interest in the game I highly recommend checking it out.  

After almost 100 hours in the game, I felt it was time to try my hand at a remix.  This is a remix of the music that plays in one of the towns at night.  "Don't Forget Me" has become something of a meme in Xenoblade/other gaming circles.  Anyone who's played the game will know what I mean :)  

Original song: 

Remix:

Anyways, probably not submission material, but if someone thinks otherwise I may consider submitting it.  I hope you enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

i love how you turned the meme into a sortof wistful take on one of the best themes - The clips are funny but i think if you slowed them up a bit it'd fit the mood of the song better.

I do think that it's not subbable because you directly sampled the original music, but i love a lot of the chord changes you mixed the track up with. 

Overall a really nice soundscape with some good changes and a lot of attention to detail. Nice work :-)

23 hours ago, OceansAndrew said:

i love how you turned the meme into a sortof wistful take on one of the best themes - The clips are funny but i think if you slowed them up a bit it'd fit the mood of the song better.

I do think that it's not subbable because you directly sampled the original music, but i love a lot of the chord changes you mixed the track up with. 

Overall a really nice soundscape with some good changes and a lot of attention to detail. Nice work :-)

I could probably revamp it without the voice clips, but I thought that the no-sampling rule was only for Square games?  Or is that changed?

Mod review requested, this isn't a review. Just giving a heads up - I'm answering the question presented. I'll make sure this gets reviewed soon, though.

To @OceansAndrew's question, as far as sampling of the game soundtrack is concerned as long as it isn't from Square Enix there isn't a panel issue with it (Xenoblade is a Nintendo product, so far so good). However, when we look for how much source reference there is in the track the sampled portions do not count as a source reference in the arrangement. Tracks with sampled non-Square music have come up a few times in the past since I've been on the panel, and that's how we've resolved to handle audio sampling.

Sample if it makes the song sound cool (I'm personally a fan of em'), but don't use the samples as the primary source of callback to the original song; if we can't identify enough source in the arrangement without using the samples as a crutch, we will say that the track doesn't have enough source in it.

35 minutes ago, Gario said:

Mod review requested, this isn't a review. Just giving a heads up - I'm answering the question presented. I'll make sure this gets reviewed soon, though.

To @OceansAndrew's question, as far as sampling of the game soundtrack is concerned as long as it isn't from Square Enix there isn't a panel issue with it (Xenoblade is a Nintendo product, so far so good). However, when we look for how much source reference there is in the track the sampled portions do not count as a source reference in the arrangement. Tracks with sampled non-Square music have come up a few times in the past since I've been on the panel, and that's how we've resolved to handle audio sampling.

Sample if it makes the song sound cool (I'm personally a fan of em'), but don't use the samples as the primary source of callback to the original song; if we can't identify enough source in the arrangement without using the samples as a crutch, we will say that the track doesn't have enough source in it.

Quoted for agreement. That's how I look at it as well. Sampling's no problem, but it also doesn't count for source usage, and it can tank a track if it's used too much.

Thanks @Gario and @Liontamer for the responses.  Based on what you're saying, I think I'm in the clear on the sampling front.  I sampled the voice clip, and a small bit of the intro to the song (a backing pad sound that plays throughout my remix but is very subtle).  The vast majority of my remix is not sampled from the ost.  Would love to hear your opinions on the remix itself.  I've also always been paranoid that my mixing won't be good enough if I submit.  

• 3 weeks later...

EVAL:

Arrangement:
Recognizable, sufficiently different from the original, no objections on those grounds. Really smooth, chilled-out feel. I dig it. Vocal samples seem out of place; you've got this soothing, mellow piece, punctuated by vocal samples that don't remotely fit that feel. I like what you've done with the percussion. A more active bass part would be nice. My biggest complaint is the fadeout ending; I'm sure you could do something more interesting there.

Production:
If it were me, I'd bring the bass level down a touch, and back off slightly on the reverb, but neither of these is a dealbreaker.

If I were a judge, I'd probably give this a borderline-yes; I could see the panel breaking in either direction on this. IF it gets a "no," my guess is that their biggest complaints will be the out-of-place vocal samples and the fadeout ending. As I said, it would be nice for the bass part to get a bit more active in some sections, but that alone probably won't be a deciding factor.

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have set it to Completed status, indicating that I think your remix is ready to be submitted to the Judges Panel. Congratulations!

If you feel like you still need to work on your track and want more feedback, you can change the prefix back to Work-in-Progress and we'll go through the review process again.

If you decide to submit your track, please change the prefix to Submitted after sending your email. Thank you!