Nintendo Lo-Fi/Chillhop Collection

FUSION42

Hey everyone!  
I recently had some success with a Zelda themed chillout mix, and I'd like to get to work on the next big thing as soon as possible.  

I've had a few ideas kicking around, and I think for the next mix I'd like to do a Nintendo-only remix collection.  I also kicked around the idea of doing it genre themed, like an RPG Lofi mix or Platforming mix, so if there is more interest in one or the other I'm open to ideas.  

So you can get an idea, here is the most recent mix I did: 

I'm happy with it but I would like to be a little more picky about what songs go into it this time around.  This mix was very general "chill" music with several genres included, but this time around I want to narrow the genre and overall mood down a little.  

What I'm looking for:
+Remixers interested in creating some high quality lo-fi, chillhop, jazzhop, vaporwave, etc. remixing Nintendo exclusive games.  Can include remixes from Mario, Zelda, DK, etc. and even other Nintendo 2nd party exclusives like Xenoblade Chronicles.  
+Mix totalling around 60min
+In typical lo-fi style, tracks don't need to be super long, but I'd say 2 minutes per track minimum
+Anyone interested in helping out with art related to this mix

Let me know if you're interested!  

NOTE: I'm also fine with using existing remixes if you have them, but it would be even better if we could have tracks created with this mix in mind.  

Hey guys I know I haven't posted in a while, but this is still something I'd like to do.  Got a nasty flu but getting over it now.  

I've been thinking about how many tracks we want / which games we want to have in this.  

I'm thinking something like 20 tracks-ish (if they are all at least 2 min then that's at least 40min worth of music)

No more than 2-4 tracks based on any specific series so we keep things balanced.  No more than 1 remix of any specific song. 

Those of you that have posted, any thoughts?  Do you guys already have completed tracks that you're thinking of submitting to this?  I have at least 1 that I think will be good for this mix, which is a Xenoblade 2 remix, but other than that I think anything I personally produce will be brand new for this mix specifically.  Happy to hear any other ideas, and if people want to start claiming tracks to remix, go for it!

7 hours ago, FUSION42 said:

Hey guys I know I haven't posted in a while, but this is still something I'd like to do.  Got a nasty flu but getting over it now.  

I've been thinking about how many tracks we want / which games we want to have in this.  

I'm thinking something like 20 tracks-ish (if they are all at least 2 min then that's at least 40min worth of music)

No more than 2-4 tracks based on any specific series so we keep things balanced.  No more than 1 remix of any specific song. 

Those of you that have posted, any thoughts?  Do you guys already have completed tracks that you're thinking of submitting to this?  I have at least 1 that I think will be good for this mix, which is a Xenoblade 2 remix, but other than that I think anything I personally produce will be brand new for this mix specifically.  Happy to hear any other ideas, and if people want to start claiming tracks to remix, go for it!

If you're going for this being an OCR official album, I think shooting for less than 20 would be a better idea, personally

All up to you!

11 hours ago, Thirdkoopa said:

If you're going for this being an OCR official album, I think shooting for less than 20 would be a better idea, personally

All up to you!

I hadn't really considering trying to make this OCR official.  Maybe I should?  For now I'm aiming for about 40-60min of music in a mix format (which is common with this kind of music) but I'm not opposed to the idea of a more focused OCR album. 

13 hours ago, FUSION42 said:

I hadn't really considering trying to make this OCR official.  Maybe I should?  For now I'm aiming for about 40-60min of music in a mix format (which is common with this kind of music) but I'm not opposed to the idea of a more focused OCR album. 

Listening to your zelda mix right now, and I'd say we should pursue this idea. I'd start by browsing past OCR Album projects - It might be more on the length of an EP side, but I think there's some real potential for some fun here to make some really high quality tracks and up all of our production game.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the comments/interest in this project.  I apologize for going dark for so long, but definitely want to get this off the ground eventually.  I have been caught up with real life issues, such as moving my whole family into a new place, but getting very close to being freed up for production again.  That's the only update I can give for now.  I should be much more active on this next Month, when I will be getting some upgrades done to my personal music production setup.  Excited for what's to come!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I really care about jazz and hip hop so I'm gonna push this. What direction is this going in? I'm working on my submission for this album right now but I think if you try to make this 10-12 tracks that would be good for an official album. That's what I would shoot for instead of just a side album project. If you could write down everyone who said they've claimed something in the description, that might help. I just don't want this project to go under because of disorganization. Keep updating!

I wouldn't mind making more than one mix for this. IN ADDITION, I will provide "live" piano for anyone who needs it. I say "live" because I use Keyscape, because of that though quality isn't an issue at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Thanks everyone for continuing to support this idea!  I know it looks like this is going nowhere, I've been sidetracked moving and building a little studio at my new place and I think I'm finally ready to start pushing this forward.  Glad to hear that you guys are already working on your songs.  

At this point, I think it's a good idea for us to get it down IN WRITING who is working on what.  

ALSO: I agree w/ RidiculouslyGarrett, let's aim for 10-12 tracks. Keep it simple but not too small.  A couple of you have reached out to me on Discord to help with arranging the project, I replied so we can get this going.  

As for further replies, let's try to actually solidify which songs we want to remix.  I want to be careful not to get too exclusive, but let's try to think outside the box and not remix stuff that is overly done already in this genre (for example, there area million Great Fairy Fountain lo-fi remixes out there already).  Let's make these 10-12 tracks count!

I'm going to be thinking specifically about what tracks I will personally take on today and try to post back by tonight.  Right now we're in "planning" mode so let's plan well and get this thing moving!

Let's get minimum 1 representation from the core Nintendo series' like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, DK, and Metroid (just for example

As of now we're looking at something like this for a track list:

1. (Zelda)

2. (Mario)

3. (DK)

4. (Metroid)

5. (Pokemon)

9.  - 

10.  - 

(11). - 

(12). - 

With all that said, throw your hat in the ring, let us know what you want to claim / work on!

Was working on / mostly finishing a chill Zelda's Lullaby remix that might actually fit this project: 

This is definitely in the vein of what I'm looking for in this mix, if anyone is curious.  Not sure if this one will actually end up in the album but possibly with some more polish a version of it.  Let me know what you guys think.  Some of you may be able to contribute something to this too.  

Another song that I think I will take on for this album is "Tatl and Tael" from Majora's Mask:

I can just hear this as a chill boom-bap style chillhop track.  We'll see where it goes.  

Garrett, I think KK Cruisin could be a great addition.  I hadn't even considered Animal Crossing tracks but they actually fit the chill/relax vibe perfectly; I'm excited to hear what you come up with.