Chrono Trigger - Battle with Magus (Metal cover)

andersla

Hello everyone,

New here! This is my first cover that I put on YouTube about a month ago. I want to clarify I do not plan on submitting this, I just wanted to get some feedback so I can improve my future remixes. I will welcome all the feedback I can get!

I will say that I am not happy about how my leads sound in this, and that is an area I am struggling in for other projects as well. In particular, I feel they sound very thin. Does anyone have any tips? I have tried several things, more reverb, less delay, less reverb, EQing.. I am running out of ideas. 

Anyways like I said any feedback is appreciated, I'll take what I can get. 

I hope you all enjoy!

JSYK, the "ready for review" tag is intended for use on tracks that you plan on submitting to the judges' panel. Since you don't plan on submitting this, I'll switch this track to "work-in-progress," though feel free to switch it to "completed" if you prefer.

As for the lead tones, I agree that they sound too thin. My first impulse would be to decrease the wet/dry ratio on the reverb, and slightly bump up the level, but there's probably more that can be done. What are you using for the guitars? (ie, are you recording an amp, or using a vst amp modeler and if so which one?)

Thanks, sorry I wasn't sure which tag was most proper in this situation. Ok I will give that a look.  I have recently been playing around with reverb and delay and it does sound better overall in the mix I started yesterday, but in some other mixes that I also have in progress, it sounds either too dry or messy. I'm using BIAS FX for my guitar tracks.

Hey there, welcome to OCR! Always nice to see a fresh face on here. Let's see what we've got going on here.

Magus, heavy metal cover, good start for sure - can't go wrong with such an iconic source, imo. The opening strings do a good job setting up the mood (much like in the source), and the performances are solid, as far as I can hear. On the mixing (which was a concern for you), I can hear what you're saying here. The balance of the mix sounds like it's favoring the bass over everything else, which can be an issue since a bass waveform is so large. A strong bass is great, but too loud and it takes the space that everything else could use. Toning down the bass will give you more room to raise the mixing levels of your guitars, so I would suggest playing with your other levels in order to give some room for your other instruments in the mix. Taucer's suggestion to tweak the wetness will help, too - the heavy reverb can also make it difficult to raise your levels without causing production issues.

Noticed the minor slap on the wrist you got from using the wrong prefix on here. Taucer is correct on changing the prefix. No worries - just look over the rules of the forum & eval tags and you should be just fine.