Garoh remix/cover (Golden Sun)

satoka-eldon

I think I would have had to totally rewrite the last track to get it up to standard (big thanks to The Damned and Rotten Eggplant for the feedback last time! =D ), and couldn't bring myself to do so.

That notwithstanding, I think I incorporated most of the suggestions for this one: not substantially altering the harmony from the original; not including fake-sounding drums; including a bass part for more of the piece; and adjusting the orchestral swell at the end so as not to drown out the flutes.

Comments/further feedback would be very welcome!

BTW, the original track is here, for comparison:

Mmm, are you planning on submitting this? You didn't specify, but there's a mod review prefix on this so I assume so - that's what the prefix is for, after all. :)

EVAL

This is a very fulfilling arrangement - the flute performances are quite good (a few moments where it doesn't hit the beat perfectly, but not the end of the world), the duet is really well done, and to be honest real flute-centric arrangements on OCR are far too few. The production seems to be pretty good (hard to tell from a YT video over a more conventional download link), and the mix knows very well to put the flutes front and center (with some light panning to give each flute it's space). So far so good!

As far as source goes, it takes such a slow theme and speeds it up nicely. There's a lot of material, though, that I don't recognize from the source that you provided (0:32 - 1:37); is there more than one source involved in this one? It sounds well integrated enough, but as I'm not familiar with the game I can't say whether or not this is another theme from Golden Sun, or if this is some (impressive) original writing. The arrangement is still within our standards on OCR, but if it's from something else it'd be a good idea to let the panel know in the submission e-mail.

This is short, but what's here is good. If you submit as is, you'd likely pass without too much issue. Just let us know all of the sources involved upon submission!

Very very nice arrangement and performance.

Nit picks:

I would make the the cymbals at the end a bit quieter and set a little farther back in the mix with slightly more reverb. They sorta steal the attention.

The final chord feels a little brusque. Of the many ways you could tame it: maybe take out the percussion hit on the chord, and let the lower strings (along with the major third of the chord) fade into the chord more slowly, after a moment of letting the wind breath on its own

8 hours ago, Patrick Burns said:

Very very nice arrangement and performance.

Nit picks:

I would make the the cymbals at the end a bit quieter and set a little farther back in the mix with slightly more reverb. They sorta steal the attention.

The final chord feels a little brusque. Of the many ways you could tame it: maybe take out the percussion hit on the chord, and let the lower strings (along with the major third of the chord) fade into the chord more slowly, after a moment of letting the wind breath on its own

Thank you very much for the very helpful nit picks! I think I can sort the cymbals out without too much trouble.

I understand what you mean about the last chord being abrupt; I'll have a go at delaying the lower strings and major third slightly.

47 minutes ago, satoka-eldon said:

By the way: I just realised that you did the Golden Sun happy town remix! I really enjoyed the way you changed the structure and harmony of the song, whilst keeping the main melody instantly recognizable. ^_^

Thanks. Sometimes, especially for beginners, its easy to get fascinated with your power as an arranger to drastically alter a song. With that song and others I tried to expand more than transform. The sky is still the limit, but you really do want that seed of recognizability, which is why the community exists to begin with. But it takes good sensibilities to pull off that expansion subtly, without the end product sounding like a stitched together frankenstein. (Looking back, I think that Happy Towns mix qualifies as frankenstein with good makeup.)

That's actually one of the great things about your arrangement. The newer material feels like it belongs.