David Wise appreciation thread

orlouge82

I know David Wise is most well known for his work on the Donkey Kong Country series, but I've been listening to a lot of the original music from many NES games that I grew up with -- all composed by David Wise.  Examples:

• Wizards & Warriors series
  • Marble Madness
  • R.C. Pro Am
  • Double Dare ("Gorilla" is a song that I frequently listen to on repeat when I'm trying to get work done)
  • Battletoads

The list could honestly go on longer.  And these are all his pre-DKC works!

He isn't dead or dying or anything (to the best of my knowledge), I just have only relatively recently realized that so many of the NES music I loved growing up was composed by him.  

On 3/15/2018 at 10:09 PM, orlouge82 said:

He isn't dead or dying or anything (to the best of my knowledge),

He's in good health and spirits as we've gathered from social media, but I might actually suggest staying away from his social media stuff if you're a big fan like I am/was. When I was friends with him on Facebook, I kept seeing him pick apart Roland for their Cloud service pretty much every time they made a post for while (I counted like 6 times he did this), bordering on irate trolling, and he has a habit of making paranoid posts about technology spying on him that's kinda jarring to see. He once made a post questioning Facebook's algorithm for posts and ads targetting certain things about him, I tried to assure him it's not quite what he thinks it is (and gently, I swear), and he subsequently accused me on being on Facebook's payroll to dissuade his thoughts on it in a pretty rant-y way. Months after that, he posted some paranoia about Amazon's Alexa spying on him for marketing purposes and, again, I tried to assure him that that technology really isn't supposed to do that - and boy did he get angry.

Needless to say, I'm not friends with him on Facebook anymore and lost quite a bit of respect for him to the point where I don't feel bad telling this story.

Sorry to derail the thread from appreciation to this, but while I report he's in good physical health, I do suggest staying away from his social media if you want to retain appreciation for him. He seems to not be able to appreciate some of his own fans when they try to help make sure he's not having an episode of something. :S

13 minutes ago, Meteo Xavier said:

He's in good health and spirits as we've gathered from social media, but I might actually suggest staying away from his social media stuff if you're a big fan like I am/was. When I was friends with him on Facebook, I kept seeing him pick apart Roland for their Cloud service pretty much every time they made a post for while (I counted like 6 times he did this), bordering on irate trolling, and he has a habit of making paranoid posts about technology spying on him that's kinda jarring to see. He once made a post questioning Facebook's algorithm for posts and ads targetting certain things about him, I tried to assure him it's not quite what he thinks it is (and gently, I swear), and he subsequently accused me on being on Facebook's payroll to dissuade his thoughts on it in a pretty rant-y way. Months after that, he posted some paranoia about Amazon's Alexa spying on him for marketing purposes and, again, I tried to assure him that that technology really isn't supposed to do that - and boy did he get angry.

Needless to say, I'm not friends with him on Facebook anymore and lost quite a bit of respect for him to the point where I don't feel bad telling this story.

Sorry to derail the thread from appreciation to this, but while I report he's in good physical health, I do suggest staying away from his social media if you want to retain appreciation for him. He seems to not be able to appreciate some of his own fans when they try to help make sure he's not having an episode of something. :S

what

that was a ride from beginning to end. holy shit.

Huge nostalgia for me is Battletoads in Battlemaniacs. Have yet to finish a remix for it yet, but still...

Couple years back I actually had a chance to meet and hang out with David Wise at MAGFest. And, it totally slipped my mind at the time that I'd remixed work of his from Slalom, Wizards & Warriors, DKC2, DKC3... ah well. The way he puts it, he doesn't really remember a lot of that really early work anyways, heh.

Timely: The Retro Hour podcast has a worthy, worthy interview from the man in their episode #113. I find it fascinating that he didn't really come from gaming into game music composition, the story about how he got fired was pretty funny too. Worth a listen! He is also in episode 107's UK game composer panel from All Your Bass festival, alongside Rob Hubbard and Graeme Norgate.

On 3/27/2018 at 5:18 PM, evktalo said:

Timely: The Retro Hour podcast has a worthy, worthy interview from the man in their episode #113. I find it fascinating that he didn't really come from gaming into game music composition, the story about how he got fired was pretty funny too. Worth a listen! He is also in episode 107's UK game composer panel from All Your Bass festival, alongside Rob Hubbard and Graeme Norgate.

I strongly recommend the All Your Bass festival podcast, really interesting stuff that showed the different viewpoints and work processes of the different composers. Protodome and I were both there listening. Was a bit of a crazy line up they got in there. Really fucking badly marketed tho, there were only like 20 people watching the thing, including us.