Sign in to follow this  
Master Mi

Correct use of loudness metering for CD mastering?

2 posts in this topic

I've got a question concerning the right use of the loudness metering unit in my DAW (Samplitude Pro X3 Suite) for CD mastering.

All soundtracks for my CD are already loaded into the music project file on track 1 one after another.

The loudness ratio between all tracks is already set via object volume editing (couldn't build just on loudness metering there - had to do this by ear because of different music genres and different dynamic ranges of the soundtracks).

And now I want to bring the loudest part of this CD mix at around - 23 dB.

For this purpose do I have to:

1) ...check the loudness metering for each track anew from each track start to rise or lower the volume of all tracks together until the loudest part of the loudest track reaches -23 dB?

or

2) ... let the loudness metering do its job by playing the whole CD (all soundtracks in a row) without pausing while checking the loudest part, memorize the highest loudness and rise or lower the volume of all tracks together until the loudest point of the whole CD loudness metering is set at -23 dB?

It's really strange that it can make differences up to 2 dB of loudness in LUFS between these 2 methods.
At method 2) the loudness differences according to the loudness metering unit seem to get smaller and nearly stable/unchanged after the first few tracks.
If you meter each soundtrack track just from the beginning (method 1)) the loudness differences according to the loudness metering unit are much bigger and the loudness metering seems to react much more sensitive.

Although I'm pretty sure method 2) is the right one for mastering the loudness of a CD I want to ask the OCRemix community about this phenomenon and the correct use of the loudness metering for this purpose.

C 'mon, guys - really nobody any kind of an idea?

Maybe some further informations about my loudness metering unit and why I guess that method 2) is the right one.

If I would start to messure the loudness right within a track for example it would show me a pretty higher max. loudness than if I messure the loudness of a track or another audio program right from the beginning to the end.
And that's why I guess that I have to messure the loudness of a whole CD right from the beginning to the end, too.

But I'm not quite sure if there might be another measuring technique for CD loudness mastering as well.