Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - Aquatic Ruin Zone Remix

Ryan Jobson

Hey guys!

It's been ages since I've posted here, mainly because I haven't worked on a remix in quite a while. I'm happy to say that's changed today! I just finished a remix of Aquatic Ruin Zone from Sonic 2!

Now, keep in mind this is a very conservative remix with some parts that are identical to the original, but I extended certain bars and added a little bit of a twist as the song progresses (and then repeats a couple of times). The reason is because this at first was just going to be a complete remake. And it was originally created entirely by ear, every drum hit and every note. This was not a midi rip. Eventually I got a little bit more creative with it, and the result is what you hear now - a very conservative remix with some moderate additions that I think make for a very nice, nostalgic, yet updated version of the song.

I realize because of how similar it is to the original version, it cannot be submitted. That's ok. Some day I'll make a wacky and different enough remix where I can feel it's worth of submitting.

Hope you guys enjoy this one! Feels good to be back making music again.

Cheers!

~Syllix

P.S. Any feedback on production quality always welcomed. Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the shortest songs on the Sonic 2 soundtrack, so milking a loop that small into a 4 minute track...I think it gets a little redundant 3 minutes in, but you did a great job recreating the original and giving it an overhaul, while keeping the synth line still a little retro sounding and airy (and those hand claps I've always loved). I could certainly see this as BGM to a reboot/remake of the game. If you wanted to make it a standalone song, maybe drop certain tracks out at points, or somehow play around with the land/underwater dichotomy from the level. Or whatever! Endless possibilities!