OCR01570 - *YES* Shadowgate 'Crypt Rock'

Liontamer

Heyya.

I am submitting a remix medley of songs from the game Shadowgate for the NES. It's basically a mix of melody leads from the game, played over various rhythm parts of my own design, add some groove, mix and stir. Everything is played on electric guitar and bass, except the drums, which are electronic, and a single synth effect in the beginning of the track.

The track can be found here:

Contact info:

Remixer name: Phoenix

Email: christopher_aaby@hotmail.com

Web: www.paradoxbacklash.com

ReMix info:

Game remixed: Shadowgate (for the NES)

Name of songs remixed: unknown, but around 4 different ones from the same game

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/shdwgate.zip - Track 1

Big fan of Shadowgate's music ever since virt's own medley "Warrior King" debuted VGMix2 back in 2003. The transitions here were less smooth here in comparison, like the ones at :42. Stuff like that breaks the flow of the song too drastically. The lead guitar tone was alright, but wasn't meaty and didn't stand out enough from the rhythm guitar or the drumwork. Panning the melody and counterpoint stuff so drastically only made the track sound awkward on headphones.

1:35 repeats :13's section verbatim until 2:28. Bleh. Throw some variation into the picture instead of rehashing stuff completely. Some more intense playing at 2:28, but the volume doesn't compliment the aggressive nature of the performance. Decent stuff so far, but the tone on the guitars is weak IMO. Though conservative, the arrangement was a decent for a genre adaptation, featuring a lot of new writing underneath the melody. The arrangement should be more varied though, and the sound balance was a more minor issue. Promising base, but more needs to be done with it to realize the track's potential.

NO

• 1 month later...

I really like the panned guitars, makes the mix a lot more interesting. There are a lot of different guitar parts playing at different points, definitely not repetitive. I'm not a guitar player, but I loved the tone of the guitars; the sound was aggressive, but not overbearing. The re-arrangement factor here was good - recognisable, but with a lot of originality added. Definitely a

YES

the drums are definitely on the cheesy side.

However this track is pretty solid. The arrangement does use a lot of different melodies, but the transitions are natural and they lend some dynamics to the track. the guitar performance is good, and the left/right setup works great. The guitars provide excellent counterpoint to each other.

The track is fairly simple and straightforward but htere's really not a lot to complain about.

YES

Solid. My only complaint is the drums which somehow sound a step below general MIDI. I'm not even sure how that works. The sequencing is fine, its just the hi-hat and cymbols that are particularly bad. You could find MUCH better samples on the 'net for free without looking too hard. Anyways...

I can see a lot of people really digging this track. It rocks, and the playing is as good as the tone. I would gladly place this on the proverbial alter in tribute to the proverbial pagan gods of rawk. You get the idea.

Nice work.

YES

I feel like this mix could have had used some better production. Everything sounds a little left-heavy because there is often less going on the right side, and the guitar panning is very wide. The arrangement is decent, but I feel like the guitar playing lacks a certain energy, despite the impressive shredding. Maybe it's really the drums that are killing the mood? Already been said, but you could have definitely found some better free samples there.

I don't know... I'm with Larry; the tone of the guitars is too subdued, and the panning sounds rather awkward on headphones. You're off to a great start, but I feel like this needs more power to pass. Keep at it!

NO RESUBMIT

Evidently some people here have never listened to Slayer since they're bitching about the production. When it comes to hard rock, you don't need perfect production to absolutely rock the tits off your listening audience.

This is just amazing stuff. Arrangement checks out with me. Go forth and rock the ears of the OCR public, my lord.

YES

i kept holding off on commenting on this one because i was torn on it. Ironically, i come back to it and i find the track in the same conflict...

for one, it isn't fair to judge this with warrior king in mind simply because despite nostalgia's intrinsic value, this is entirely different.

all in all, the guitar playing itself is considerably more impressive. it is obvious you got the chops. the question and the problem i have is that the arrangement does not grab me at all. i can judge this unbiasly and realize that there is nothing wrong with this mix... it is produced decently, the drums are pretty weak but nothing so atrocious to have killed it, the guitar playing is great, the arrangement is at least interpretive and as a result, it is good. as for whether or not i was entertained, i have to say that i wasn't

however, as a judge, i am compelled to vote on things from an objective perspective. because of that, i am aware that this passes the bar.

YES

I wouldnt go so far as to say the guitar playing is eye-poppingly impressive, but it's pretty solid.

This is fairly stereotypically cookie cutter in it's genre. I suppose "cheesy" isn't exactly my first pick for the drums, from an electronica artist's point of view, they're a little meh, but in light of the style, I didn't have much inner turmoil in accepting them as effective (enough) support for the track.

Production, though clearly short of uber professional quality, leaves no real concerns in my ears. This one clears the bar. Congrats, Chris.

YES