Motorola RAZR

Czar Diego

I just got a RAZR today, and one of the things I wanted to be able to do is transfer pics, ringtones, etc. between it and my PC through USB.

I have a cable that's compatible, and when I connect it, the computer goes through the whole "Found new hardware" thing.

Thing is, it can't install itself. I guess I'm supposed to install some kind of driver for it, but I don't have any software for that, and the manual doesn't even mention USB.

So I was wondering, is there something I'm doing wrong, or am I stuck having to send things through the internets and download them through the phone's browser?

PS, It's a Cingular phone, if that makes any difference.

Normally, a phone won't come with the software required to connect it to your PC if it doesn't come with a data cable. Most phone manufacturers offer the software as a free download on their site though.

Unfortunately, this doesn't include Motorola as they charge $30.

However, there should be free alternatives.

Might wanna check here for some more info, it's where Google pointed me to.

that cable *may* be used to connect your laptop to your providers wireless internet. I got a similar cable with my phone and I was expecting to just plug it in and load up stuff to my micro SD card in the phone. also, you may want to disable internet on your phone (unless you pay for it) when you connect it to you PC like that. its possible that you're "using the internet" and the fees can get pretty big if you dont pay on a month to month basis.

if it is a modem cable, you can try a program called QPST. it uses said cable to access the phones internal memory. if you try to use the program, be careful! you can brick your phone easy if you mess with the wrong files. for QPST you also need what my provider calls an MSL code. the name may vary by provider. its basically the code you punched in when you activated your phone. you can call up your provider and get it and they should give it to you if you ask nicely.

Datapilot (a pay program) should be compatible with the RAZR. may want to look into that if you dont want to deal with the huge mess above.

I'm pretty sure that the use of a standard USB > MiniUSB cable is what makes the program cost money. Nokia has their own format for datacables and sells them for a similar price, while the software is free(And limited as fuck in some ways)

Of course, you can get a compatible knockoff for $5 or so.

I also just bought a V3 Razr and I am wondering if you guys know any nice websites to find video game ringtones. I'm sure this has been asked before; maybe someone can point me to the right thread.

I just record them onto the phone by playing them out one of my speakers.

Course, I have to force both channels out both speakers in Audacity, but they come out pretty decent.

The problem with most ringtones is that they're limited to durations of 30 seconds or less. Mine tend to go at least a minute. In fact they don't even finish a single loop before the voicemail kicks in.

They're still funny as hell to have them go off in class though. I can tell who the geeks are by how long it takes them to recognize obscure NES and SNES tunes.

I also just bought a V3 Razr and I am wondering if you guys know any nice websites to find video game ringtones. I'm sure this has been asked before; maybe someone can point me to the right thread.

Easiest way would be to http://www.vgmusic.com/ and lookup and download the midi file you want. then just send it to your phone.

or you can edit OCR tunes into MP3s and mail them to your phone or upload them and download them to your phone.

www.funformobile.com is okay as an upload server. just make an account and you can upload stuff to your phone via txt message. just make sure you have internet on your phone. if not downloading them from the web can get spendy!