Gario

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262
Game(s): Final Fantasy 4
Song Title: Tales of Courage and Sorrow
Songs Remixed: Main Theme
Comments: I know it’s probably too close to the source, but I figured I’d still give it a chance, since it’s the sister track to my FF6 and FF5 ones that I submitted!

• 2 weeks later...

It's not all that close to the source.  There are a lot of extra parts that are enough to make it stand apart.  They fit in naturally, to the point where I was sure they were in the original, or at least an in an official orchestrated version, but I did some research and I couldn't find anything.  Even on top of what I had in my head, there's some extra percussion added, a new intro, and a few extra parts such as the harmonica, pizzicato strings, and piccolo, even if their roles are brief.

There aren't many surprises here but this does everything it needs to do.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/04/16 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 4 "Tales of Courage and Sorrow"

I really liked the harp and string lines on this one, very cool.  I was expecting more of Rebecca's folky/mystical style, and this one has some of that, but it is a bit different this time around and I'm glad that she's taking some slight detours to explore her style a bit further.  Other than that, it's the usual very good sub from her.  I also didn't think it was too close to the original... sure it repeats some of the lead melodies verbatim down the line but this doesn't feel like an upgrade or cover.

YES

Edited by Sir_NutS

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/04/16 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 4 "Tales of Courage and Sorrow"

Oh, hey, I also have an orchestral track with "courage" in the title that remixes this theme.  Aaaand that's about where the similarities end...

spoiler: this one's better

Beautiful orchestration here.  As mentioned, it's follows a similar structure to the original, but with plenty of complimentary part writing to expand on it and fill out the composition.   I did feel like the direction got a bit lost/plodding a couple times, specifically 2:34 where you've been winding the track down to soft section, then another main chorus crashes in, negating the nice transition you created.  Also, 3:01 - 3:15 with the root/chords not really seeming to match the melody.   I especially liked the addition of the 3:16 section (besides the random cymbal hit that comes out of nowhere).  Very minor note, but 3:40 could've used a better transition to bring back the main melody.

Nitpick: sounds like an accidental extra note included in the woodwinds at 3:43. 

Production is nice and clear, also well-balanced.  I was bothered a bit by the repeated sustained string notes with the same somewhat hard vibrato - it starts to stick out the longer that section goes as unnatural.  The percussion also felt repetitive after a while as it goes on autopilot for decent stretches of the track with that hand drum/tambourine.

Overall, these issues aside, this is a beautiful track and very pleasant to listen to.

YES

Edited by Nutritious

• Liontamer changed the title to (2018/04/16) *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 4 "Tales of Courage and Sorrow"
  • Liontamer locked this topic