OCR03963 - *YES* FTL "An Open Galaxy"

Sir_NutS

Artist: Sir_NutS
Name of the games arranged: FTL: Faster Than Light
System: PC
Name of the arrangement: An open Galaxy
Name of the individual songs arranged: Space Cruise (Title)

Link to Remix:

Link to Original:
https://benprunty.bandcamp.com/track/space-cruise-title

I figured you guys were getting tired of the endless flood of synthwave remixes from me so I guess something different is appropiate.  I went into this one trying to do something warm, lo-fi/analog sounding, and also unlike most of my remixes, not in your face all the time.  So this is much mellower and more deliberate in pacing than my usual stuff.  FTL is a great game, and Ben Prunty made a soundtrack for it that fits perfectly.  I spent hundreds of hours playing this, and the soundtrack stuck with me so it was only a matter of time before I tackled it.

I hope everyone enjoys this one, I like the results and I'm happy that I went into sorta unknown territory and came back with something alright to show.

Mmm, very space-y, and very different from your normal fare. I like the almost analogue sound this has thoughout; the instruments sound very warm, and the added crunchiness the saturation adds to this is very welcome. It has a light soundscape, but it never sounds empty - not an easy thing to do.

The source checks out, so I'm all for gettin' this on the front page. Nice work!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2019/05/12 - (2Y) FTL 'An Open Galaxy'
  • 2 months later...

Funny enough, I still think this sounds very much like a Sir_NutS mix.  It has the mellow pace of the source material but it still has the quality synthwave soundscape we expect.  Other than the sound clips at the beginning and end, this is pretty much exactly what I would expect from this combination of source and remixer.  And in this case, that's only a good thing.

YES

You know, I'm with MindWander on this one.  For the past few years, I've seen you as the guy who is more keen to experiment with different types of electronic music, not necessarily synthwave.  This track is no different - it crosses the thin line between the mellower material of Kraftwerk and the overall bounce that has been a staple of your music.  The lo-fi effects and subtle pitch-shifts are intriguing, the parts all have their own unique identity, and the textures here feel thick and loaded - even when the gas is eased off at 1:41.  Consider yourself proud of the presentation - it's no small feat!

Even the source material got handled very tastefully.  Structure-wise, it's one run-through of the source but with a whole bunch of modifications.  The backing melody's irregular syncopation from 0:48, the little melody flourishes in the first half (0:36, 1:46, the sine pluck at 1:58) and the source arpeggio changed into a filter-heavy sequence  (1:06) all stuck out.  The additional synth solo in the 1:23 section also added some much-needed warmth in the lower end.  And the square legato synth at 2:50 is all original despite having a similar tone and rhythm to a left-panned synth later on in the source.  It's a sign that you knew the BGM inside and out and achieved a compelling arrangement while still respecting the qualities of Ben Prunty's composition.

Seriously, I got nothing else to say - great job, hey ho, front page, let's go.

YES

Edited by Rexy

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03963 - *YES* FTL "An Open Galaxy"
  • Rexy locked this topic