Sony PSP

The Damned

Man, this place has a hard time keeping a PSP thread around, doesn't it?

Anyway, I have something to ask the tech experts about regarding the PSP's abilities to do 2D. A comment by Castlevania producer Koji "Iga" Igarashi in a recent interview stated that the Castlevania team didn't want to make a game for the PSP, saying "Please, we can't do this on PSP!"

Were they referring to the hardware not being able to handle 2D well? Can the PSP do 2D?

There's been some pretty good 2D PSP games like the SFA collection, Darkstalkers (despite the loading times and controls), Ghouls and Ghosts, the Gradius Collection, the upcoming Metal Slug Collection, etc. If the PSP can handle Metal Slug it can probably handle Castlevania. I'm guessing it's all politics, as the Castlevania games are huge sellers on the DS. My guess is that if they made a Castlevania game for the PSP it would be more like one of the recent 3D incarnations on the PS2, which wouldn't be bad at all.

It's probably less related to overall horsepower and more based on the DS' unique features (two screens, touch screen, mic). Although from what I hear, Portrait of Ruin doesn't use the touch screen anyway (not sure on the mic), so I don't know.

The only thing you use the stylus for is creating an icon at the beginning(if you don't want to use a default one). Other than that, I really like having the map right above me without having to press start.

It's probably less related to overall horsepower and more based on the DS' unique features (two screens, touch screen, mic). Although from what I hear, Portrait of Ruin doesn't use the touch screen anyway (not sure on the mic), so I don't know.

The only thing you use the stylus for is creating an icon at the beginning(if you don't want to use a default one). Other than that, I really like having the map right above me without having to press start.

You can also use the touchscreen to control where your second character is moving so they can dodge attacks. It's a major pain in the arse though.

Actually, one of the bonus set of characters uses the stylus.

So, what other games are coming out? I really want Namco to bring over the Tales of Eternia port onto the PSP :( . That will convince me to get off the pirating bandwagon.

Anyone have any luck emulating more recent firmware? I have a 1.5 PSP I don't really want to upgrade but I'm a little sketchy about trying to mess with the firmware too much. Don't want to brick the thing, but I love my emulation.

Acutally Theres a good website called noobz.eu they seem to have the most recent stuff. I've got a 2.80 firmware and it all runs fine on mine, you have to start up e loader, in which case it will not work sometimes and you have to turn off the psp and try again, but other than that its fine.

Anyone have any luck emulating more recent firmware? I have a 1.5 PSP I don't really want to upgrade but I'm a little sketchy about trying to mess with the firmware too much. Don't want to brick the thing, but I love my emulation.

Acutally Theres a good website called noobz.eu they seem to have the most recent stuff. I've got a 2.80 firmware and it all runs fine on mine, you have to start up e loader, in which case it will not work sometimes and you have to turn off the psp and try again, but other than that its fine.

Okay cool, I'll check that out. I've been wanting to play a lot of the newer PSP games but I haven't wanted to upgrade my firmware. I you haven't had any problems I'll give it a shot. I just don't want to accidentally upgrade my firmware somehow.

Any sign of a price drop in the near future?

I think that there was one a while back, cant quite remember the price though. It may be $179 now but I`m not sure.

Kwarp you changed your avatar... I almost did not recognize you with out that Kirby.

Getting used to that myself. <(^_^;)> The Kirby icon here really isn't that great IMO.

Iga's team loves the DS apparently.

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/iga/iga-loves-castlevania-2d-his-team-loves-the-ds-222981.php

[obligatoryPSPpost]

They need to get a Castlevania on PSP.

I don't see what the problem with making psudo-3d sidescrollers is. It worked great for games like Maverick Hunter X and Megaman Powered Up.

The PSP needs more sidescrollers IMHO.

Yeah, the wide screen is perfect for it. I can't wait to get the Metal Slug Collection.

[obligatoryPSPpost]

They need to get a Castlevania on PSP.

I don't see what the problem with making psudo-3d sidescrollers is. It worked great for games like Maverick Hunter X and Megaman Powered Up.

The PSP needs more sidescrollers IMHO.

Yeah, the wide screen is perfect for it. I can't wait to get the Metal Slug Collection.

Speaking of sidescrollers for the PSP, did you get Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins? That game looks like it was full of nostalgic goodness.