OCR00190 - Ork "Portal"

m68030

• 5 months later...

This starts out with a breif piano melody, but it isn't long before the techno beat kicks in. Cool slow strings and good synths (especially one that sounds almost like an ethnic instrument) make their appearances. Pretty good use of reverb, too. This is a good song, but that little thing that makes it a GREAT song is just a little out of reach...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

My head hurts and I should definitely be cooking, but some of the sounds used in this mix are really trippybleepily delicious. I hurt for words to describe them, but a thousand tactile sensations come to mind (the strongest being a kind of multicolored rubbery candy plastic). Definitely a good sign when a mix induces mild synaesthesia.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sounds are definately chiptune-esq, but I don't think it's that bad. They work as they are, though a sound update would be very nice.

The song is quite catchy, the melody especially. I was able to really enjoy listening to this song, whether it was in the background or I was actively listening to it. Worth getting still.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

This really is catchy and fun to listen to. Nice blend of electronica and some chiptune inspired elements.I actually enjoy the retro vibe of this mix, but I do have to agree that more of the piano and a bit of a sound update would have made this incredible. Plenty of great ideas and the arrangement is damn good. Liked this one a lot, actually. Nicely done.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00190 - Ork "Portal"
  • 7 years later...

Don't let the low OCR# of this mix scare you. Yeah, okay, there's a lot of very dated MIDI-ish instrument voices in this one. But, it's very dated MIDI-ish instrument voices used well.

mutagene knew what could be done with the seemingly basic tools at hand and he made us something that, yes, as djp said, will stick in your head for decades. True facts, here in 2023, with this ReMix being on my playlist for well over 15 years. That piano intro and square lead hook in particular do it for me. The ReMix as a whole is understated but very groovy.

Listening to this track makes me wonder about all of the Psygnosis games (that aren't Lemmings) I missed out on playing when I was younger, because the music that underlies it speaks of some grand epics in amazing universes. Even though I don't know the original piece of VGM, I feel like this ReMix adequately holds a mirror up to it.

Speaking of reflections, I would also say that this ReMix is a great representative of the ancient OCR sound. How far we've come, but how much we still have to learn from the old days.