OCR00196 - Frogger "Frog Jam Stomp Box"

m68030

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

Where to begin...? This one certainly hasn't aged well.

What we have here is basically a repetitive piano loop with an equally repetitive drum loop. The piano and drums fit together in a 'Bad Tuna' sort of way. The only real arrangement comes in the form of annoying arpeggio effects, and even then, it's essentially the same loop. At the halfway point, we are subjected to a guitar-like distortion applied to the piano, after which the same loops from the first half repeat again.

I'd like to say something positive about this remix, but I can't find a single redeeming quality (except for the fact that it ends.) It's not good when things start getting annoyingly repetitive in the first 30 seconds, much less in the first 15. I don't really like saying this, but I feel it's warranted in this case: avoid this one (unless you are a sucker for punishment).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hmm.... not a great mix here imho.

The piano that opens sounds so dry and midi-like.

Then a weird drum pattern comes in with unusual panning :S

The strange thing about that drum part is that it is in triple time ( 12/8 ) where all the other instruments are in 4/4, which creates timing issues that reminds me of bad tuna, although it wasn't anywhere near as bad, at least the tempo was correct here.

After a while, the piano starts playing arpeggios as a variation of the main theme if you follow. You have to listen to it to understand, but its weird in my opinion.

And what is with that guitar sample? very random :P

not to mention it sounds like it clips when it goes down in volume in for each step.

more random piano craziness after

no bass as far as I can hear.

A very strange and weird mix.

Not recommend.

• 9 months later...

So this is another one of those quirky mixes. The piano rubs me the wrong way - the playing sounds quite fake. The drums or whatever other main sample contributes to its quirkiness.

But arrangement-wise, I feel like this mix is mostly just take one instrument, play a particular looped melody, toss in another instrument at the start of the second loop, and repeat. There's little rearrangement to speak of here, and that bothers me.

• 1 year later...

"experimental electronica piece"

Ah... ok, noted. I love this. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT

It's quite jarring, and it certainly captured my attention.

The quirkiness pays off, because it's consistant throughout the entire piece.

It's a song that I look for by name on my playlist. Love it.

Yes, it's random. Yes, it's repetitive. Not for the faint of heart, but have a listen.... if you dare...

• 3 months later...

The game start music. Limited source (4 measures). A 2000 release. The TRUE first mix submitted by a girl.

To be fair, I don't know if that was the most dignified way to make that mark for us girls, but oh well - that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I guess it starts out promising with the piano buildup and the choice of three-step hip hop drums, but even then when you get further into the track those could be seen as the only components. But then there had to come an interesting choice of synth guitar to come in; not a convincing sample for the modern day set, but the amount of feedback granted to it made it feel somewhat decent at the time as a stand-alone instrument.

If I'm going to have to be honest, I think this probably would've worked better as a piano solo. It might've been more minimalist, true, but some of the more rapid higher-note sequences felt more classically oriented to me and could've been able to fit in a much more appropriate setting than an attempt at minimalist electronica.

As a piece it doesn't do it for me, but for a 2000 release it could be seen as a subtle study on production techniques for early established mixers. Mad props for covering Frogger though; as far as I know, the structure of the source material makes it hard to make anything all that serious with :razz:

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00196 - Frogger "Frog Jam Stomp Box"
  • 1 month later...

Believe it or not, I didn't think this was terrible. Granted, it's not good, with the midi repetitive piano and odd distorted sound choices later, but it IS old OCR - standards were different back then. The drums were actually surprisingly fitting, considering I was hearing comparisons to bad tuna being thrown in here - they have a swing to them against the more straight melodic pattern of the source. It creates a legitimately interesting (and good) effect, once you start swinging with the drums, but it's easy to be thrown off by them, if you're not ready for em'.

Not something I recommend to a casual browser of OCR's music, but I legitimately mean it when I say it's not THAT bad. Tonally, it's fine (not too many off notes), rhythmically it's very interesting (neat idea setting a triplet rhythm against the straight theme) and it does have enough source for OCR. It's interesting and shows off a very different way to approach a song, so it could be worth giving it a listen, even if it isn't something you'd listen to casually.