Email: maximum28@aol.com

Website (haven't updated in a while): www.myspace.com/maxoelectronic

Remix Info:

GameL Wario Land II

Song: Skull Castle

Add. Info: By Kozue Ishikawa / System: Gameboy

Link to gameboy version:

Comments:

Ok, so I finally resubmitted this (now that I have time over the break), and a changed some crucial elements. I made the drums a lot thicker and more lifelike, and added a bunch more beats in place of the old one. I also fattened the bass and played it through (didn't really loop anything). I fixed the general volume issues, and from what I can tell there's no clipping. It seems to have more energy, and variety then the old one. I'm pretty confident in this one, looking forward to what you have to say about it.

Thanks again.

-Maxo

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/wario2.zip - Track 51 (Skull Castle)

Quoting myself from last time regarding the source: Man, that original is pretty bland during the intro, but it finally picks up at :47, then at :59 & 1:14-1:44 with some actual content, so be sure to check that out in order to make the comparisons.

Pretty much all my positive comments in the first vote still apply here. There are so many resubs I wish we actually got, but the submitting artist decides never to come back to it. Glad this wasn't the case here. IMO, the volume's too loud, but it's nothing too off-putting. The sample quality for some parts is still pretty bleh, but the balance is better, and the track is fattened up where it counts.

Still love that funky switchup/solo at 2:29, followed by those sick licks at 3:08. The drumwork felt too thin at 3:08, but picked up nicely at 3:28 just when the emptiness was wearing out its welcome. Still loving that effect from 3:38-3:47.

Coming out of the softer portion of the track with the solo, I was disappointed that the intensity wasn't as ratcheted up as it was for the first section. The energy and volume level from 3:08 until the end seemed like it was a lot less compared to 1:12-2:29, which didn't make much sense, IMO. Still the arrangement was solid like the last time around.

The sample quality was spotty in some places and the textures were a lil' rough around the edges, but the arrangement is gold and the sounds here were used pretty well. Still some things I'd touch up, sure, but this piece is on solid ground, baby. Really glad to receive a resub of this one, Max. The extra effort was well worth it, and I'm glad you took the criticism of the last sub in stride and came back with an even stronger result. Looking forward to more subs in the future, bro.

YES

• 1 month later...

Wow, very cool mix. Lots of creative ideas overall. I like the sequencing/performances, the overall feel, and the way all the instruments mesh well with eachother. The resonance on some of the parts is a bit excessive, but that can be overlooked. I do agree with Larry that the volume is on the loud side too (makes the highs more piercing). The stuttered horn bits are a nice touch. I think a bit of delay/reverb on some of the more prominent parts would have been nice, but again, not a big deal. I do think the solo has some weird notes (or perhaps the chords underneath don't mesh well).

This is a nice arrangement and the problems I have are not significant enough to merit a no. Good job.

YES

This track is increidibly tight. Crisp production; excellent use of the stereo field, effects processing, and what I will fondly refer to as "moodular delivery."

Some of the ducklike samples in the middle, and the guitar are kind of in questionable taste, but it's nothing bad enough to bring the mix below the line.

Arrangement is lean and effective. No fat to trim. The track as a whole is well put-together.

YES

intro is killer

this is one of my favorite mixes in a long time. i was chillin to that wicked floydish intro until the main groove comes in and FUNKY. lots of really solid arrangement ideas here. there is only one way to do the mario and you do it. the solo is alive - it moves like a living thing which is sometimes lost. the arrangement is very variable... the ending is nice as hell, too.

i agree on the volume - it is a bit intense. but this is a very good mix and very entertaining. good shit, max

YES