Found (good) Tetris (Tengen) NSF. What to do?

SonicBlueTM

I found a working Tetris (Tengen) chiptune after hours of searching. I thought since most of the other ones are bad and you guys don't even have one on the site you might wanna put this up. I don't know anything about permission issues nor whom I should be talking to about this so just do what you will with it.

Here is the link: http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ugetab/Tetris-Tengen.zip

I completly misread and misunderstood your post.

This nsf file is actual game music for a Tetris game released for the NES by the game company Tengen (the game was a black uniquely shaped NES cartridge). This version was different from the other Tetris in that it had different game modes including a 2 player mode.

This is not a chiptune. People can feel free to remix it though. This was an awesome game with some great music.

If what you found on the internet had been chiptune remixes then the only way you could get it put up on this site would be to contact the original artist and tell that person to submit to the site. The site submission policies and/or FAQ's should have more information.

Um.. I was under the impression that "chiptunes" were just that, "actual game music".

This is what it says when you click the "chiptunes" tab when browsing remixes on the site: "Chiptunes, as well as sample-based formats like RSN/SPC for the SNES, allow you to replay the original soundtracks to many of your favorite games." Am I still misunderstanding the meaning of this term?

The term "chiptune" traditionally refers to original pieces of music (or remixes) done with the same sound limitations as the hardware used in whatever sound chip you're writing the music to sound like.

Not the original soundtrack in native format.

Semantics aside, nice find.

I never noticed that chiptune tab thing until now. I dislike the term "chiptune" to refer to the original music. I think it is disrespectful to the original songs. As remixers we must respect the original music if we are to give the music the proper tribute it deserves.

I still think the term "chip tune" is really non-descriptive except that it pretty much labels something as inferior. Does only apply to 8 bit audio formats, or can it be for 16 bit, or just anything that sounds old skool?

Well, it seems like I unintentionally found something else about this site to complain about (I wonder if i'm the first person though). I know it's not really a huge deal, but I don't think labeling all original game music as "chiptunes" is a good thing.

As far as your first post was concerned, I really still have no idea where you're coming from or what point you're trying to make regarding this thread.

I'm not really a "regular" here so I don't have much to contribute to this debate I seem to have started. But I do understand where the term comes from a little bit more now.

To clarify: I posted this to see if maybe one of the members of staff here felt it would be a good idea to add it to the site so that others can use it to make remixes or just to listen to (which is the reason I was looking for it). Also, since so many of the other copies floating around the net are out of sync and unusable, putting this up here would popularize the rare working copy.

Holy shit everyone in this thread shut up.

1)It's a chiptune

2)all music on the NES are chiptunes and are called chiptunes, as well as anything else that doesn't use raw and/or sampled audio [that's a grey area though. A lot of systems had a PCM channel or two, and that's ALL the SNES had]

3)calling something a chiptune is NOT disrespectful [what the fuck?]

4)Thank you for finding the NSF [it's good]. I can't remember if there are any Tengen Tetris arrangements on OCR though, and I believe that's a prerequisite to having the original chiptune on the site.