OCR01540 - Final Fantasy Adventure "A Dream Is Not a Mission"

djpretzel

I am not sure if the Malcom X samples helped or hindered this one but I thought the scratching itself was kind of neat. I dug the beats. The instrument samples and arrangement was pretty cool. No major downside to this except that I felt there should've been a bit more overall variation and length to it. That's just my opinion.

I thought you did a good job on it though, and I think it is a cool mix to start off 2007 with. :)

The part where the voice clips come in is amazing, though I would have done a bit more craziness with it. Before that, the song seemed like a random plethora of mixed genres and out-of-place scratching. After this true focus finishes playing, things start to make a bit more sense.

The rest besides the great middle section (could have been better, personally) is simply an enjoyable listen. However, thinking about how great the concept of the voice-sample section sounds makes it even more enjoyable; at random points in the song I'll reminisce about it and want to hear it again. If there was a long version I imagine there would be more craziness :o

Good to see something like this at OCR.

I really don't like the scratching in this. It's too frequent and some of the scratching sounds completely out of place, making it difficult to enjoy the awesome beats. I love the strings and enjoyed and and most of the mix from the second half on. I agree with Audity in wanting a little more "craziness" from the voice part, though.

This mix isn't getting enough love. This kicks ass. The string attacks? Awesome. Drumwork? Killer. Scratches and voice sampling? Both great. And with the melodic piano work, this enters the pantheon of great OCRemixes in my opinion. Reminds me a lot of Malcos' Collision which I also love.

A triumphant return by Ziwtra. Keep it up.

Ziwtra never fails to impress. I'm digging this. Not something I have on repeat like your other work but something that blends nicely to my nonchalant mixes playlist to keep me level. The added bonus of the voice in transitions is nice. It wakes me up. Just when I get get nice and snuggly with it, it whips in and puts me in my place. Harsh at first but after a few listens it grows with abundance.

I knew this download was a good one and a keeper. I was oh so right.

Edgy, memorable. Ziwtra really is quite gifted and it's a pleasure to listen to him evolve. I agree with previous comments about the vocal clips and scratching, mostly the scratching--it might have been more effective toned down a bit--but overall this is something fresh and idiosyncratic. Drum sequencing & processing is amazingly tight, as always in a Ziwtra mix. I'm impressed and would love to hear more experimentation/exploration like this from Ziwtra.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to come back to this after listening to it a bunch. It's easy to overlook the bass in a song; we tend to just absorb it subconsciously, and sometimes it's treated the same way by the composer, as just a sort of conveyor belt to move the song along - but going through my OCR playlist, and reading some comments by the elusive Ziwtra, I was struck by how awesome his bass writing is. It's especially evident in this song, with that bass just popping in your face and riffing all over the damn place. So good, and very instructive.

If he lurks around, I'm curious what kind of music Ziwtra listens to that gives him such a keen sensibility for bass. I would guess some influence from jazz, as he doesn't use it as just another rhythmic element, but a voice in its own right.

Anyway, love this stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fantastic!

I keep coming back to this song when listening to my "Recent OCR" folder. I enjoy: the voice clips, the punchy strings, most of the scratches/stops, how the drums come in at 0:25, the playful sequence at 2:34, and the transition out of the "clean section at 2:10. There's definitely many other nuances that I'm unable to spot right now, but to me this song has lots of little entertaining details. :)

The only thing that throws me off is the ending, which feels like the departing of a friend. I don't know if that means the song's too short though, since it's dangerous to drag anything out (see: Rogue Galaxy).

Ziwtra, I've greatly enjoyed many of your songs, especially Downwind (http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00805/). Keep up the great work! :D

-Austin Spafford

• 10 months later...

A little too edgy for my tastes. The constant scratching gets a little distracting, and the vocal cut up section doesn't fit stylistically. I think if the track was a harder-hitting, song, the vocals would have fit well as a breakdown section, but as-is, it seems like a completely different section from a different song pasted in.

I love the rest of the track; the bass and strings are great, but as a whole, this one didn't really work for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Ooooh, very interesting intro. Got that deep underground hip hop vibe to it. Hello Fort Minor before there was a Fort Minor! It was a very unique choice to have the bass be an upright rather than electric or a synth. It took a little getting used to, but I fell into the feel of it pretty quickly. The string samples are a little rough around the edges especially when they are so exposed. But Youngjin makes up for that by putting his focus in dynamic shifts throughout the track. Not bad at all. I was diggin this. It would be awesome to hear it remastered with a small string group. All in all, very good!

• 6 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01540 - Final Fantasy Adventure "A Dream Is Not a Mission"