Super Mario World - Castle badass

zircon

Analysis:

» 0:00 - 0:18 - Nice ambient intro. Appreciate the effects coming in at 0:10

» 0:18 - 0:27 - The first time through the melody gets a tiny bit lost.

» 0:28 - 0:34 - Adding the harmony helps it stick out a bit.

» 0:34 - 0:37 - Nice drum lead-in. The sound of the drums work well for the feel you have going on right now

» 0:37 - 0:46 - The strings add a really nice touch to it. Building in the layers. But it almost sounds a little bit quiet. I dunno.

EDIT 1: (Jan 9th, 2007; 2:28PM)

» 0:37 - 0:46 - In addition to the strings you have a synth playing octaves in a 3, 3, 3, 3, 4 pattern. Nice addition, builds the layers, no longer requires the strings to pop out.

» 0:46 - 0:55 - New synth and a new take on the melody. The run down starting at 0:51 sounds a little bit rough. Not sure what to, though.

» 0:55 - 1:14 - This new arpeggio type synth coming in really contributes to the song in a way that makes me happy in my pants.

» 1:05 - 1:14 - Same with the dark organ you have going on. Really gives you that SMW Castle feel.

Conclusion

Pretty damn good for 0:51 seconds. Will be waiting for an update.

EDIT 1: (Jan 9th, 2007; 2:28PM)

In less than a day, the awesomeness of this mix has increased tenfold. Keep giving me updates and I'll gladly keep giving feedback.

Excuse me for being more of a critic, rather than an analyst. The two paerts in the beginning, (the main theme, and all you've got going on in the background) take too long to either integrate, or separate. Meaning, it took long enough for me to think in that small part in the start, "Where's it going?". Of course, when it all breaks in it's fine. As a matter of fact, I can't wait to hear the next update. But until then, just a little thing to think about.

You know, Zircon, I used to just go after games I like, and judge mixers accordingly. But after the meetup, I checked out some of your stuff, and I'm impressed.

...You know, there's still room on my project... *cough*

I'm by no means a remixer of any sort but I have to say that was awesome. I really liked the way all the different materials and instruments really blended together despite being from completely different places. You have the uber ambient stuff, then it treads into trance/techno without leaving that frightning feeling of the castle behind. Combine that with the organ added to the tentative end and it makes my blood run cold. I hope to see an update soon.

I totally agree with Escariot's updated post, the extra notes add much to the beginning and the added part... well it just gives me that real SMW castle vibe. It feels so... whole. I really can't wait for another update!

I just wish I had the extended vocabulary to really say what I wanted to

Pretty tight, man. Great groove and production. Just curious, how do you go about programming your drums? Sliced loops? A bunch of layered one shot samples? It just seems like your drums always have a certain feel to them.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5967

*shameless plug for just one more judges's opinion about the Bond vs. Goldeneye issue :P

I think what I love most about this is how it develops. I tried listening to just the 'chorus' (for want of a better word) from around the 1:24 mark, and it just doesn't sound as good without the build up from the rest of the piece. It was like trying to climb a mountain by skipping out everything other than the summit, thus missing out on a wonderful experience. The trouble I always ran up against when I dabbled in arranging myself was that, due to my somewhat shallow levels of creativity, my pieces always seemed to go from A to B with no real fanfare. This is the complete opposite, everything here is nicely varied without anything sounding superfluous, and so it all works together, climbing to something awesome.

Bravo!

Just wondering harmonically how you plan to make this theme your own. I'm trying to think of ways to modulate key and play around with progressions but it's kinda hard with such a distinctive tune. I always wanna do what the melody follows in the original >.<

The bell at :19 hurts my ears... too peircing..

Something about the drums I find to be... somewhat low quality... plain... unexcitable...

The lead clashes with the guitar... badly...

Those are the things I noticed... hope they help... Overall, pretty good for a start, but a lot of work still ahead...

.....................lol