OCR00165 - Punch-Out!! "Dream Fighter"

m68030

Punch-Out!! 'Dream Fighter'

Excellent work from Scott here. The reverbed piano intro plays

on the intro theme before bringing the original theme in a pizzicato

string lead. It all sounds soft and smooth. however You might notice

how hard the piano sounds. That's because he's about to bring

in some classic Peeples 'tear your ass up' break beats. Great

opposition in the smooth strings and piano and hard hitting beats.

This has been one of my favorite songs from this website since I originally downloaded it over a year ago. The echoey reverberated piano sounds great, and mixes very well with the electronic style percussion that gives this tracks its kick. To top it all of, no where in this track does Doc give ringside advice to join the Nintendo Fun Club.

• 6 months later...

Aye, this is quite nice. The first time I heard it was a little taken aback by the soft intro, but after hearing it on the whole and stuff - very good. The orchestral/breakbeat fusion can be hard to pull off, but he did it nicely.

I even got this tune on a roadmix now. Nice driving music, depending on the mood.

Good work man!

-Mazedude

• 3 months later...

I really liked this for a long time - mainly because I'd never heard the awesomeness that is the Punch-out!! melody before. It was a gradual thing that made me get turned off to it, however. The first sign of wearyness I felt was way back when when I felt something out of place at 1:37 when the big part comes in with that constantly looping drum and there's this repeating snarish type thing. Having not listened to music in nearly as much duration as now, it was only this one time in the middle of the many occasions I would listen to this that I felt weird about that part.

Anyway, now I hear it every single time and I can't focus on the melody anymore. Now that newer Punch-out!! mix by Game Over is out I'd listen to that over this. Don't be discouraged - maybe you won't feel the same way since it is only one little sound that prevents me to rush to play this. If you feel the same way, you can always listen to Scott Peeple's Doom ReMix. That one is way superior to this in terms of non-repetition.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say that I have been downloading mixes from this site off and on for about a year now, and I just cannot stop listening to this one. The ambient feel to the soft strings contrasted with the hard piano... it is good enough to stand on its own without the breakbeat. However, that just makes it that much better.

I really enjoy how the whole piece seems to almost tell a story about the game... fighting theme, followed by the infused "Get Up" theme, then back to the fight... it perfectly reflects the music and the gameplay (well, not my gameplay... I never get knocked down. :P ), although, in a way that makes both seem almost larger than life. A definite recommended download... I am only sorry I found this song just recently!

• 4 weeks later...

I've downloaded a lot of songs from this website (most of them NES) but this is by far one of my favorites. Everything about it just gets into your soul and makes you want to play Punch Out! Often times I listen to it while doing work because it is so inspiring! It just builds up until you just feel like taking on the world! Basically I agree what everyone else has said about the song I just thought it needed even more praise.

I downloaded this song a long time ago, and loved it like nothing else. Only now did I realize I never wrote a review...

I loved this song back on the NES and was thrilled somene remixed it. All of it's quite good. The piano, strings, etc. The only problem I have is the drums. There's this one repeating pattern. It's a typical rock shuffle (sped up an assload of course) and the hi-hat plays an "open-close-open-close" thing in between the snare hits. It seems to cut through the rest of the song, and I can't notice anything but it. It, for lack of a better word, annoys me. I used to be able to listen to this remix in joy, until I heard that pattern. Over and over and over. Then I wanted to shoot myself for having ruined one of my favorite songs on OCR. Ballz out.

In case you feel like ruining the song like I did, the pattern sounds like this: seedileedily pop, seedileedily pop, seedileedily pop (say it fast and listen to the song. You'll see what I mean.)

Why the hell aren't there more reviews of this song?!

I swear to God people don't know a good song when they hear it. Wouldn't know it if it was a gopher biting their leg and drawing blood while giving them rabies.

This is the best hard rock mix on the site, in my opinion. Not my favourite (Wily Metal), but I think it's the best. Very well done. The lyrics are great, and I really like the singer. Plus the arrangement is just tip-top.

And there's no denying the sweetness of those original samples in the song. I always punch the air as hard as I can when you hear the "Mac Goes Down" sound right before the "Mac's on the Mat!" music.

Fucking brilliant.

Why the hell aren't there more reviews of this song?!

Heh, Mustin, maybe there aren't more reviews of this song because you're thinking about "Little Mac's Confession"?

Just a thought, sweetie-poo.

-Scott

Ouch...let's see how he recovers from that one.

That quote still applies to Dream Fighter though. This song really rocks the shit out of me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

HO-LE-SH-IT.

This is definately going to be purchased. I love this band. I love it I love it I love it.

PUNCH OUT!!!

They have my vote for everything and I'm gonna go get their single ASAP, because GOD FUCKING DAMMIT that ROCKS....just GAH, time to burn a NEW FARGIN CD!

• 7 months later...

This is the first song I downloaded from this site, and I love it... I recommend you download it now, and see for yourself. The piano intro is nice, and is complemented with the chord progression of the melody. There is only one part that I don't like, which is at 1:37... I get major distortion, I don't know if its just me, or the song, but its the only part of this song I don't like...

• 1 month later...

This song rules so much! It's very emotional! Somebody recommended it to me so I heard it and thought it ruled!

Did you guys know there is now a music video for this song? Go to www.kingofthemile.com/videos.html and download the video, it's video #12 on the site. It plays the music and the video part is actually the 1996 Olympic Final of the Mens 1500 meters race. If you guys also want to see the race but without music and with commentary then get video #13. I created the video for the site, I own the website on Hicham El Guerrouj. Tell me what your thoughts are on the video, and if you like it please post here or in my forum/tagboard/guestbook. Great work!

Contact me on aim with sn Dragonblades2000 or email me using my site

EDIT (10/4): Hi, I created another music video using this song! The video is only 54 seconds long and includes the best part of the song. The video part is the final 300 meters of the 2004 Athens Olympics Mens 1500m Final(Track & Field race of nearly a mile). Hicham El Guerrouj holds off Bernard Lagat and wins GOLD!!! Go to www.kingofthemile.com/videos.html and download video #26, read the Xdrive instructions. If you want to see the full race with no music and only commentary it's video #25. If you like the video post on my guestbook/forum/tagboard or email me using the site or contact me on

aim; dragonblades2000

yahoo; dragonrunner2001

have fun, Mike :D !!!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Okay, let's get one thing straight. This is, arguably, one of the best pure music pieces available at OCR. What with all the sustained strings supporting the piano/keyboard melodies, the rock drumbeat that in no way takes away from the piece but adds just the right flavor, and the fact that it is derived from one of the better NES ditties I can think of, Mr. Peeples proves his worth with this track alone, to say nothing of his other masterpieces.

I can't say as I understand the anti-hype about the drum track. It's repetitive, yes; simple, yes; overbearing, I don't think so; wrong to the mood of the song, definitely not.

Overall, my favorite aspects are the strings (I've always been a sucker for violins), and the reverb on the piano early on.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've liked this mix for a long while, being one of Scott Peeples' top mixes. But what brought it to my attention again was when listening to it on my new headphones. Some sections are absolutely drowned in bass. Listening to it on low volume is necessary now. Just that one gripe, pretty ace elsewhere. Has aged well.

• 9 months later...

Engaging intro here. Remember it from way back when, going through the first 700 mixes one by one. Nowadays, the beatwork here comes across as pretty cookie-cutter, but back then the groove was interesting and decidedly different in terms of the treatment of the theme. Good changeups in the instumentation at 2:30; I wish it stayed more like that instead of bringing back the beatwork at 2:42 to keep the feel different.

Arrangement felt a bit repetitive after that, and the weird compression here wasn't doing any favors, but another changeup at 3:18 kept things fresh and inserted some new ideas into the picture before going back to the "Match BGM" arrangement for the last section. Interesting choice of textures, pulled off very well for the time. Cool example of old school stuff.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00165 - Punch-Out!! "Dream Fighter"