OCR00165 - Punch-Out!! "Dream Fighter"

m68030

way too much delay and reverb on the piano for my tastes, but the source tune is solid, and can really take a beating.

The several layers of beats sounds a little overcompressed when the louder group hits, but they are still good enough to be in the ring. It gets a little repetitive when new instruments fail to come in, and the song gets worn down in the later rounds. There's never really a knockout punch either.

A contender, but not the champ.

• 6 months later...

As far as being divided into sections, I think this mix steps up every time. Most of the action happens in the middle section, which is regrettable for me because I much rather the stuff that happens in the intro and the final switchup. But that's not to say the main section was rubbish, it just wasn't as interesting. Perhaps it could have been trimmed to not flatline within a mix that is otherwise constantly building.

There was nice detail thrown in, and it showcases a good layered approach; not exactly commonplace back when this mix debuted, which deserves recognition. It certainly has a full and polished sound in a more laid back era where that wasn't mandatory.

As a mix, I think it has quite a bit to offer. As a DnB mux however, I think it's had it's day. Fans of this one are surely in it for the cool treatment of the Punch-Out! theme, not the beats.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I really loved the piano intro slowly building this mix up before it hits with the breakbeats and slight dnb progression beats. Really sets up a good fight theme for Punch-Out that you can visualize. Using the Get Up theme as a break from the main fight theme was great. A little dated, but not a bad take on one of my favorites.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00165 - Punch-Out!! "Dream Fighter"