Conceptual Music Competition 4: The Beginning [Results]

Abadoss

CMC: Conceptual Music Competition

abadoss-CMC.jpg

This competition is based on the rules of the classic TOMC (Thematic Original Music Competition).

Each successive theme will be chosen by the winner of the previous competition. For example, say the theme of the last competition, CMC 10, was "The Desert" and the winner, Gabe, submitted a piece that knocked the socks off of everyone, so he won. Gabe then gets to decide the theme for CMC 11.

CMC4-forums.jpg

Results!:

Text results and critiques

Audio results

CMC 4: The Beginning

Long before all that we know came to be, there was the source... the beginning...

There are 7 entries for this round...

Another Soundscape - "The Journey Begins"

• "You never know what's going to happen in the beginning. Maybe you're sent into a world you've never heard of. Maybe they throw you out on the battlefield. Maybe you go into space. Maybe you'll just live a normal life. Although you can never know, there is something special about the beginning. The excitement. The anxiety. The uncertainty. The question about what will come next? In this piece I tried to capture that feeling."

David L. Puga - "The Great War"
  • "This song is pretty much an intro cinematic track for an adventure game. I was shooting for a serene "long, long ago" intro, then setting in to a legendary war part. I kept the melody throughout the track, as I'm partial to the old school, melody driven vg tracks. To sum it up, it starts with a serene foreword, into an epic battle retelling, then drops back into a layered variation of the intro."

Alex Smith - "Time is Born"

• "... strange, unknown sounds colour the scene. Suddenly the darkness is lifted somewhat: new, bright sounds can be heard in the distance, amidst a slightly eerie combination of rain and a low, indistinct rumble. After a while a stronger sense of rhythm emerges and the clicking, steady beat of time enters the world. A climactic section ensues. Here the dark tone suggested at the start of the piece returns and the two melodic themes are brought together. The piece ends on an ominous dissonance and time is born. Throughout the piece, ideas are brought in and out – creating a sense of restlessness and mysteriousness. "

The Prophet of Mephisto - "genesis"
  • "The theme of the competition was 'The Beginning'. I started with a theme that I felt really fit the idea of beginnings (which appears about 60% of the way through the piece), and went from there. I wanted the piece to start out with a mood, more than anything, that was as much of a feeling as anything else. The beginnings of things often are not comfortable or perfect, and this is reflected by my heavy use of the d minor sus2 chord. As the song progresses forward into the main theme, you hear the different aspects of the music starting to take form and come together into a coherent whole. The vocal parts, echoing the phrase 'Who Am I?', represent the questioning that we as humans often have as we move towards what we were meant to be. The song ends with the same feel that it started. This is because even after we come to that point of understanding, we still aren't always as sure about that knowledge as we would like to be. Enjoy!"

avaris - "Alpha and Omega"

• "For me, the beginning represents the unknown. No one knows what the future holds in the beginning. There is a certain feel of mysticism involved. Like the beginning, the end also represents the great unknown. Hence the name for my song, ‘Alpha and Omega,’ the beginning and the end."

Flik - "Space Disco"
  • "You trudge through the dark halls of a failed space station...its remains drifting through space for decades. Everyone thought this was the end for the multi-trillion dollar project, but suddenly you stumble into a fully lit up recreational room. Colorful lights moving all over the place, and a distant beat begins to grow louder.
    Perhaps this is only the beginning. The beginning of something excellent.
    Robots inevidably come out of the shadows and begin to line up. Where did they come from? Are they hostile? Wha---what are they doing? Oh my god, could it be....SPACE DISCO?!"

Melin - "Void"

• "I wanted to create something mysterious, and lo-fi. I had a hard time with the piano, since I wanted it to sound very lo-fi but still beautiful. The piece is filled with a lot of atmospheric sounds, and is really showing my interpretation of the theme "the beginning". The song was supposed to have vocals added, but they weren't done in time, but I think it works well without them."

Voting Rules!:
  • Voters will be allowed to pick a first place (3 points) and any number of honorary mentions (1 point). Only one set of votes from any one voter will be accepted and a person cannot vote for any one piece more than once. Corrections to votes, from the original voter only, will be accepted, but corrections will void the previous votes. Basically, a voter can vote and correct the vote, but only the final form of that vote will be counted. Send all votes to
Abadoss by PM or via e-mail. Please include any and all constructive critiques (not to be confused with bashing) about them with your votes as well, so that there's always a sense of growth in the artform. If you wish to remain anonymous, just state so in your PM. Thanks.

• The voting period will last from the moment the entries are posted in the thread to the Saturday of the following week. The voting period for this round ends on February 17, so be sure to spend some time really listening to the pieces.

• Any participant in the competition can vote, but not for their own pieces. However, in an effort to encourage voting among participants, any participant who votes will have 2 points added to their voting score.

Official Rules!:

1. Each piece must be originally composed for this competition. Arrangements and remixes will not be accepted. (Pieces composed by the participant prior to the competition will not be accepted.)
  2. Each piece must be 2:00 or longer and match the competition theme.
  3. Only one entry per person. Collaborations will be allowed, but each collaborator may not submit any other pieces. (This also means that a person cannot collaborate on two or more different pieces at the same time.)
  4. A link to the entry piece must be e-mailed or PMed to Abadoss prior to the deadline set for each competition. DO NOT POST THE LINK IN THE THREAD! However, feel free to post in the WIP:Other forum.
  5. Important: Each file must be labelled accordingly: Composer_Name_-_Composition_Title_CMC#.mp3
    (For example, if Reginald Nunez submits a piece called "Walking Through Candycoated Forests" to CMC 14, then his filename would be: Reginald_Nunez_-_Walking_Through_Candycoated_Forests_CMC14.mp3
  6. MP3 file format is required. Know that even OGG will need to be converted into MP3. (If someone is unable to do so themselves, Abadoss would be willing and able to do it for them.)
  7. Entries should be accompanied by a description and/or story to help listeners understand what the piece is about. (Not required, though.)
  8. All entries must be submitted by Saturday, February 3, 2007 at 11:59 PM - PST, GMT-8.

You can find the competition threads for each forum listed below:

Good luck and have fun! :D

Previous CMCs: http://www.warnerpacific.edu/personal/kkeyn/CMC.htm

A lot of the problem is that people aren't yet used to going into sub-forums and looking around (particularly those that might potentially be participants). I think if we (I say "we" because this isn't something I can feasibly do on my own) promoting this thing to other users on the forum, or just friends in general, we'll have some better turn out. This competition will really thrive once it stops being me doing most of the work, as far as getting people interested. Hopefully, we'll see more of that as things go along.

Dude, who cares if your entry doesn't exactly fit the theme. Good god, just wait till you hear how "I" interpreted the theme. You will either A) Be confused, or B) Dance.

While I'd rather have spent more time to shape something to the theme better, I really didn't care too much in this case. I haven't made anything in ages so I just wanted to get something done for once.